Monday, May 17, 2010

Those Were the Happiest Days of My Life

Here is a really bad pic of Coadster's honors assembly.

I'm finally home. I never thought I'd get here..And be able to hang out. I went to give plasma right after work, came home and ate a bowl of cereal. (It's a good thing I made stuffed pork chops, wild rice and corn on the cob for Sunday dinner, because I might not have time to eat anything decent for a few days here) Stinky and I then had to run out and get to Coadster's seniors honors assembly.

All of these lasts for Coadster this year will turn into firsts for her next year. But now it's a little sad. I remember her last day of kindergarten. Back then I still worked two jobs. I took off my day job to go on their field trip, where we walked from their school to City Park. It was such a nice day and I stayed and played with them all until I had to leave to get ready for my second job. As I was leaving, almost all of the kids wanted to give me a hug goodbye. I got a little teary thinking that none of these kids would ever be that sweet and openly affectionate again...And there I was tonight, watching half of those kids going up to receive their scholarships and awards. They may not have been as sweet and openly affectionate, but I was happy to see that so many of them had really grown into interesting and hard working adults...Again with the slight tearing....All these endings and beginnings in the next year could get a little emotionally messy for me. Ahem.

The saddest part was saying goodbye to the girls' principal. I've never really been clear on the story, but it seems the much beloved principal got ousted by some bullshit politics within the school board. All the kids are wrecked. Every community member who came up to hand out the out of school scholarships, gave him his props and there were at least 2 standing ovations for him, with a couple of the senior boys chanting his name. I guess the good thing is, he just got a job in the big O and if my sister's kids are lucky, he'll be their principal when they get to high school in ten years.

7 comments:

Mnmom said...

Ottumwa?

I'm going to be a wreck when my twins are Seniors. I should just start stocking up on kleenex now.

Sounds like you raised a great woman. PROPS to MOM!!!!!!

Ananda girl said...

It is so hard to say good bye to your child and hello to the adult they have become. You have done a super job, Churlita... so much to be proud of!

But I do hear you on the politics of schools and on seeing those sweet innocent children grown into adults. I see that every year as my dear students graduate. I am a sniveling idiot each graduation.

Nothing but the best for Coadster! That is what I wish for her... and you too.

rel said...

Churlita,
Looking back with fond affection and forward with fearful excitement; Life is a joyous conundrum, don't ya think?
rel

Tara said...

I was emotional after the last choir concert as a high school senior, but I was fine when I graduated. I think my mom did get a bit emotional, though. Maybe part of that emotion was relief that she didn't have to put any more of us through school. :)

laura b. said...

This is a big time for your family, full of exciting changes. Even though it isn't over...it is never really over... let me congratulate you on a job well done.

booda baby said...

We SO wouldn't want it any other way. Whoever invented endings and beginnings must've known what they were up to, because it works so well. It's the ones who want to cling to any condition who go and fuck it all up.

Churlita said...

MnMom. Si' - Ottumwa. I should have bought stock in Kleenex for the next couple of years.

Ananda, Thanks. That's so sweet. Yeah, too bad the politics get in the way of decent educators.

Rel, Yes, I couldn't have put it better.

Tara, I think there's a little of that too and some relief. Like, "Whew!" She made it and she's not in jail or anything. Ha ha.

LauraB., Thank you. I've heard that from other parents. It never ends, it's just different.

Booda Baby, Definitely. There are endings that turn into beginnings that turn into endings and you just have to keep going along with the cycle.