Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Backed Against the Wall, Got You In a Tight Place

What say I put up yet ANOTHER pic from my garden. This time it's a bloomin' lily. Isn't she pretty?

So, yeah. Today was a weird day. First I went to ride my bike to work and it was raining, but there wasn't one cloud in the sky. Then in the afternoon, I went across the street to get some computer print-outs and while I was in the tiny, creepy basement room there, all the lights went out. I felt like I was in a bad horror movie. Scary. When I got back to my office, I realized that the electricity was out there too. I never quite got the whole story, but I think someone screwed-up at one of the many construction sites around campus and maybe snipped a power line or something. It only lasted an hour, but I forget how crippled we become without all of our little electronic gadgets and gizmos.

Tonight was Coadster's very last choir concert. It was great. Coadster had a solo and I talked to some of my other favorite parents. I sat kind of in the middle of the row of seating, and about 3/4's of the way through the concert, some guy who looked to be in his twenties came up and sat next to me and leaned into me. There were tons of open seats, so he could've parked himself somewhere else and we both would have been more comfortable. Oh, yeah...And he smelled bad. He was a decent, normal'ish looking guy, so I was surprised that he was being such a horrible space invader. I leaned to my right, so he might get the message and move over the other way. It just made him lean further into me. I had no idea what to do, so I ignored him and was glad that there were only a couple of songs left.

The weirdest part of the day came after the concert when Coadster told me she was going out for a bit to help a friend celebrate his birthday with a bunch of the other kids and I said, "Okay. Tomorrow's your last day of school, so I doubt you'll be doing anything anyway, but just text me and tell me where you're going when you're leaving and when you'll be home....Wait. You're 18. I guess you can do whatever you want...." But She cut me off and said she would text me anyway, just so I didn't worry. Good girl. This whole having a kid who is a legal adult will take some getting used to.

11 comments:

rel said...

Churlita,
Life would require some major refitting if electicity were shut off indefinitely.

Are you saying that this guy was "into" you?
rel

Brass Pear said...

Hey, you just stick to your guns, Missy. Those girls have to answer to you for the rest of their lives!!!

Just kidding, but not really.... We still keep pretty close track of our 20 year old twin boys. Oh, not hovering, just keeping up with what they're doing, making sure they stay on track with their goals. Parenting....it's never really done, ya know.

NoRegrets said...

Oh, that's a really pretty lily. All I ever see is the orange.

SkylersDad said...

You have raised a dang good girl there to make sure mom is informed. Well done. And if all that guy has for game is smelling and leaning, I feel sorry for him.

Tara said...

I hate the space invaders. Also, my mom and I have come across the "loud clapper". Claps are usually loud, but some people have a knack for using sharp, ear-piercing claps.

laura b. said...

I love pictures of your garden!

And yeah, as the mom of three adult children (two to go, woo hoo!) I still like to keep my tabs on them. Old habits die hard :-)

Johnny Rojo said...

Glad the day ended well, aside from the creepy guy.

My son messaged me on Facebook that he has to play at graduation at his high school on Saturday (he's a sophmore, so he's not a graduate). I kiddingly asked if he wanted me to drive him, or did he want to take my car. I knew the answer. I love the fact that I won't have to get up at 7 am on Saturday morning to drive him, but I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that he's got a driver's license.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Last week I had an encounter of a similar kind.. only on the bus and LHM was with me.. He started singing and looked dirty,smelly and overall creepy-like..He had one of those wooden train whistle's (LHM has one) and started blowing into it... thanksfully he didn't try move in one us.. But the bus driver kept looking at him.. making sure he didn't start freaking out on the other passenger's.. it takes all kinds..lol

Your girls are very good girls and you will always have their best interest at heart..

Ananda girl said...

The lily like your daughter is a treasure!

Ah creeps!

Churlita said...

Rel, Ha ha. That's funny.

Leo, Yeah. Coadster understands that I'm doing my parent to make sure she keeps me informed. The younger one needs some not so gentle reminders sometimes thoug.

Nor, I planted all different colored lilies. We'll see which ones actually come up and flower.

Skyler's, That's funny. I don't even know if he was trying to use any game. he was just odd.

Tara, Loud clappers are bad too. Maybe they can't help it that they're so resonant...Hee hee.

LauraB., I think they kind of like to know we're still keeping tabs on them too. It can be comforting.

Johnny, I would love it if one of my girls could drive my car. Sadly, it's a stick and neither one of them have mastered it.

Mrs. I will. Whether they appreciate that is another matter...

Ananda, I'm not even sure he was a creep. He seemed like he was totally unaware. Could he have been that self-absorbed?

booda baby said...

I hope he wasn't a mind invader, too. Those are the worst, the ones who MAKE us have to deal with them. Veryvery rude of him.

Wow, what a strange concept - that there is such a line where responsibilities end. Responsibilities in both directions. I think I'd save up my money and implant a tracking device.

But that's just me.