Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Search for the Beat in This Dirty Town

I took this pic at the pool tournament. They just had tubs everywhere there.

So, my weekday life consists of going to soccer games or track meets almost every day. Since my ex doesn't have a working car, I also have to run the girls every single place they have to go. Which is fine. It's all part of having kids and stuff and I love going to their events. In fact, Stinky got voted athlete of the week at her junior high this week because she got first place in discus and third place in shot. But you want to know what else I love? I love Wednesday nights, because after 7, I have the evening to myself, that's what.

It may have been because the weather was so nice, but tonight was actually really wonderful. I picked up girls from their practices, then I ran for a bit and then dropped off girls at their dad's house. Finally, I went to Sam's Pizza for supper club. It was a little smaller group tonight, but all the people who ever come are wonderful, so it doesn't matter who shows and who doesn't.

After supper club, we stopped by my beautiful friend S's house for a cook out. Because it was so nice out, and also because it's supposed to be way colder and rainy tomorrow, our friend Rory and his fiance E. were also having a BBQ. The best thing about it, was that they only live two houses away from each other, so I got to make the rounds. S.'s cook out had young kids and they were all totally into having a dance party with me. Then I stopped by my friend Rory's BBQ and there were just really cool people there too. I've always loved my friend Libby's husband, R., but I didn't know him all that well. Tonight we started talking and realized that we had almost all the same friends. That's always been the weird thing about this town. I can know every person of a particular group of friends, but not have met that one guy for whatever reason.

Okay. As much as I hate to see it end, my free, fun, me night is over. Tomorrow it's back to driving and attending my kids' sporting events and grocery getting and all that cleaning that didn't magically get done while I was out this evening.

13 comments:

Mr Atrocity said...

Two barbecues in a single evening and pizza sounds like a win, win, win situation to me. Shame about the Bud Light though.

Anonymous said...

It is like that around here too. I have met a few people recently that have all the same friends I do and for some reason I never met them. Apparently this fishbowl is a little bigger than I thought.

Pizza and two barbecues sounds like a quality evening to me.

Poptart said...

Now, did you eat at all three of these eating events?? If so, (I doubt it, but I had to ask) yum! Pizza and BBQ!

And damn, IC is hoppin on a Wednesday night!

Congrats to Stinky!!!

Claire said...

Geez you've been having soem fun lately. Lucky you. By the time my youngest grows up I'll be all old and stuff and God knows you can't have fun when you're old.

rel said...

Churlita,
Those one night a week, "me", events can be life savers.
rel

DJSassafrass said...

Sam's pizza...yum!

NoRegrets said...

I went and looked at neighborhoods to live. I wish I could find a neighborhood that's as nice as yours. But I guess I'd have to move to the midwest...

fringes said...

Your happy place welcomes you back.

Tara said...

That photo is quite pleasing to the eye. Not because it's beer, but I like the clear ice against the blue and silver.

Congrats to Stinky for getting voted Athlete of the Week and for getting first place in the sports stuff!

laura b. said...

As fun as the kid activity rounds can truly be, it is always nice to have a little break. Sounds like you made good use of yours.
Congrats to Stinky and her major arm!!!

dmarks said...

I love that song. The original version (I think it was remade?).

Near as I can tell, the closest BBQ joint is one or two hundred miles from where I am. Not good.

Congrats to Stinky!

AlienCG said...

I can't stand it when my cleaning doesn't magically get done while I'm gone. You must have had a really good night to yourself.

Anonymous said...

whooooooooot! Stinky!!

Ok. that's all I got... motorcycle class sucked the coherent comments right out of me.