Sunday, April 20, 2008

Feet On the Ground, Head in the Sky

So, have I ever told you guys how awesome Iowa can be when it finally warms up and actually stops raining for a day? Well, It's really great. We all try to stay outside as much as possible and take advantage of the weather, because we all know how fast it can change back.

Today was one of those wonderful Iowa Spring days where everyone was that much happier from the feel of sun on skin and the freedom of slipping on a pair of flip flops and being able to comfortably go for a walk outside. I, of course, ran my eight mile route and it was heavenly.

When I went to the store this afternoon, I ran into my friend Eggo and she started talking about Morrell mushroom hunting. She and her husband had been out hiking and saw the May apples, and everyone in Iowa knows that means we have about a week before we can start looking for Morrells. She was kicking around the idea of having a camping party out in the country one weekend night here soon, where we all go mushroom hunting and then spend the night so we can drink and not have to drive home and wake up and make Morrell omelettes the next morning. I literally raised my hand and told her to be sure and pick me to be a part of that.

Then later this evening, I went to a kid friendly cook-out at my friend K's most wonderfully amazing boyfriend A.'s place. The food was oh, so good and I met some new people who I really loved. So much so, in fact, that I had to gush all over them and tell them how great I thought they were before I left. Stinky came along and thought all of A.'s friends were really cool too...And that's coming from a teenager, so you know it had to be true.

Anyway, it's been one of those days where I want to stop my life, so I can wallow in how lucky I am. Do you ever have those days where you look around and think, "Damn! I really have it pretty good"? Yeah, well I do a lot and I don't always take the time out to appreciate it. But today? Today, I'm stopping to smell the warm loamy Iowa Spring air and recognize just how good I have it. I hope you all are in a place to do that too.

17 comments:

Poptart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Poptart said...

Yum, the fresh morel omelet sounds amazing. The trip sounds like a perfect springtime activity!

Anonymous said...

The weather has been outstanding around here for about a week and it has felt nice to get out and play.

Glad you got some of that sweet spring weather.

dmarks said...

morel season is very soon here. sometimes they are all over my yard.

Mr Atrocity said...

Sounds like life is pretty good. This is a wonderful thing.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

That sounds like a great thing to do.. Those omelets sound scrumptious..

Tara said...

That camping excursion sounds fun! So do cookouts, I can smell the charcoal burning at the thought of it. The weather has been very nice. Even the rain smells fresh and Springy when we have it.

fringes said...

I'm excited it's going so well for you!

Nate said...

It has been such a long winter, a nice spring day , especially on a weekend, is the greatest thing.

So did everyone have great weather at least one day over the weekend? It was so freakin gorgeous I refused to go indoors till sundown.

booda baby said...

It's nearly the best, isn't it? I think every time morels come up I have to tell the story of the HUGE-O glen/glade/spot we found and how for the next months, there was nothing - nothing at all - that was cooked in our house without them and how now I nearly gag when I run into any kind of mushroom.

I hope you find one of those spots on your camping adventure. I'd tell you where ours was, but we already gave the secret away. Sorry.

minijonb said...

i love spring... it can stay this way for the next 8 or 9 months and i'd be happy.

laura b. said...

Its great to have that feeling and even greater to recognize and immortalize it in writing!

MrManuel said...

Yeah, I think about about 90% of the time. The other 9% is my fault and the 1% are things I can't do anything about.

Brando said...

For the first time since the first week in December, there is no snow on my property.

Amazing how energizing that is.

Happy (?) Tornadoversary. I completely forgot that it had been two years. I guess that means I'm over it.

AlienCG said...

It felt good to get yard work done over the nice weekend. It was also a nice day today for a 4 hour drive to Maryland.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Hurray for Spring and cookouts where you meet cool new people!

My sister goes mushroom picking, and she shares so I don't have to get my hands dirty.

Churlita said...

Poptart,

I hope it happens. Right now it's just theory.

Evil-E,

Me too.

Dmarks,

I'm so jealous.

Mr Atrocity,

Isn't it?

Mrs,

I know. I could go for one right now.

Tara,

The food was so great at that cookout. I feel so spoiled.

Fringes,

Thanks. I just figure I'll focus on the good and see what happens. It seems to be working out quite well for me.

Gyuss,

Saturday was kind of cool and rainy, but Sunday totally made up for it.

Booda Baby,

I'm sorry you lost your taste for morrells. I have never had too many before.

MiniJon B,

I'm right there with you on that one.

lauraB.,

You're right. Then when things are bad, you can always go back to it and see that it can be that good too.

Mr Manuel,

Exactly. for the most part I'm really happy, but there are definitely things that can change that for me.

Brando,

Good for you. I'm over it for the most part, but that doesn't mean I won't still use it as an excuse to drink beer and eat food.

Aliencg,

I bet all that driving is so much better when the weather is better.

Lady,

That's nice of your sister. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and it's a great walk outside.