Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Perhaps There's a Thing or Two I Think of Lying in Bed

Here is a picture of a snowy half-drained swimming pool.

Okay, kids. Here's the deal. I have a bad cold and it's making me all stupid. I'm absolutely sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm old and I thought it was a good idea to stay out until 5:30 am on Sunday morning. God. I'm never allowed to have any fun at all.

That whole first paragraph up there was written to let me off the hook from having any cohesive thoughts or anything to write about tonight. I seriously haven't done anything in the last two days but go to work, come home, go running, make dinner, watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special last night and take a nap tonight because the girls were at their dad's house. I've even been too sick to play video games, so you know I really feel like crap.

Sooooo, um. I'm trying to think of even random things to write about...Okay, here's one. When I was running this weekend, I accidently had the iPod set on Coadster's playlist. It was kind of okay at first, I heard "Sonny" by Bobby Hebb, and "Loro" by Pinback. Then as I got more into my run, I heard, "From the Beginning" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, "Island in the Sun" by Weezer, "Into Your Arms" by the Lemonheads and "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John which I can finally listen to again after it was so overplayed a few months ago. But just as I was a few blocks from home, some weird song came on that reminded me of Catholic guitar masses from the seventies. I was a little worried I was going to find some brainwashing tapes from whatever cult Coadster was joining under her bed, until I placed the song. It's called "By My Side" and it's from Godspell. I guess I'll never cure her of her love for musicals. I also stopped worrying about her when "Lovestoned..." by Justin Timberlake came on directly after. Whew, she's still 15 after all.

I promise this will be my last random thought tonight. Last week, I was talking some shit to my co-worker John, and so he thought he'd be all clever and shoot a rubber band at me. Little did he know I'd been working on my rubber band ball for the last few months and it had reached an impressive size. (remind me to take a picture for you, I'm pretty proud of the old girl) I snuck up to his cubicle and lobbed it on the pile of papers that were in front of him. He jumped about a hundred feet and his hands did that fish out of water flopping thing they do when John really spazzes hard. It was the best thing that's happened at work in months. He tried to retaliate this
week by rolling a two liter bottle of soda at my desk like it was a bomb, but I was unfazed and then he had to wait to open it, so it didn't explode all over him.

13 comments:

Mr Atrocity said...

Erk, hope your cold improves. Hot lemon and ginger, that's the ticket.

When I was a bout 12 my favourite song was ELP's version of "Fanfare for the Common Man" so there seems to be a little prog-love in every discerning teenager's heart.

dmarks said...

That pool isn't yours, is it?

I love "Fanfare". Can't have enough ELP.

Anonymous said...

Even too sick to play video games? Wow, you are down in it right now. Get well.

The latest practical jokery sweeping me and my cronies at work is putting photos of annoying former employees at each others desk. We hide them in places that the person will eventually check, but not necessarily that same day. We have had quite a cavalcade of freaks come through our place and me and the boys have made fun of them for one reason or another.

Anonymous said...

Get better. Why do you have rubberbands? I can't remember that last time I've needed one.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

When I first met my husband he had a really whacked out fancy job title that I used to enjoy making fun of - I called him the Vice President of Rubber Band Balls.

Sometimes I really miss workplace shenangans with my goofy co-workers.

I hope you're cured of your cold before the kids get better at the games than you.

Tara said...

I love messing with coworkers. I used to do that with this lady who was one cubicle away from me. We did stupid things with rubber bands too. My brother made me a mixed tape a long time ago, and based on some of the songs on there, I worried about him for quite awhile.

Unknown said...

I tried to tell my 13 yr old son that YOU CAN MAKE rubber band balls when he insisted on buying one at Cracker Barrel. Hey, those might be good Christmas presents. Love that you are raising kids on musical numbers.. we have about a dozen old Broadway Musical records(yes- real live vinyl) that my kids bought at an estate sale- with the turntable.

Brando said...

I love that the two-liter gag not only didn't work but he then had to wait to open the bottle. That should be one of the definitions of "blowback."

laura b. said...

I always find it interesting to listen to my kids mixes. Sometimes they really surprise me. I hope you feel well enough to get back on the games very soon.

Long_Division said...

The ONLY good thing about my dumb grown-up job was the gigantaur rubber band ball I harvested. I gave it to a coworker so he would remember me.

AlienCG said...

15 years old and likes ELP? Sounds a bit odd, but I wouldn't call a shrink yet. I've been listening to Pink Floyd this evening.

I hope your cold gets better.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Margaret said...

ha! poor john, suck when you prank your self

Anonymous said...

heheheh, pobre John. He should've known better than to mess with you!