Thursday, May 01, 2008

Looking Into Their Eyes I See Them Running Too

Oh my gawd, kids. I am so very tired. When I tell you why, you are going to think I'm so pathetic, but I don't care. I got off work and immediately went straight to Stinky's track meet. Yeah, it was totally exhausting watching her run her 1500 meter race. Actually, I was really impressed. She is a field events girl, and she took it upon herself to volunteer to run that far.

Sure, she came in last, but how many shot putters do you know, who have even tried to run any kind of distance? I made a point to be there at the finish line to tell her how proud I was of her. Some of the boys were flipping her shit, but I told her that those stupid boys could all go piss-off.

Then she had to skip right over to her real events. She threw discus first and got her personal best throw. She can compete with a lot of the boys on her team at throwing and some of those jerky guys who teased her about coming in last in her race, were then made to eat crow.

I got to watch Stinky warm-up for the shot, but had to leave before she actually competed so I could catch the last half of Coadster's soccer game. She said she had one of her best throws in that as well.

If you thought it was tiring watching Stinky run and throw, I really wiped myself out checking out Coadster running around the soccer field kicking the ball around. They lost 1 to nothing, but Coadster had this totally amazing powerhouse kick that took the ball almost three quarters across the field. I really needed to sit down and rest after seeing that.

I was supposed to meet some friends at a poetry reading and for a beer after, but the girls' stuff didn't get done until after eight and I still had to make dinner and stuff. Plus, I got so tired watching other people exercise that I couldn't even entertain the thought of going back out.

15 comments:

Mr Atrocity said...

The only athlectics event I was ever any good at was discus (not discuss, which is what I just typed). Football (translation: soccer) I am very bad at but I do love to play which is unfortunate for all of my friends who get lumbered with me on a team.

I play far too little sport these days.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a full day of sporting events. You are such a good mom.

Sleepiness usually trumps poetry with me as well.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I always had a thing about running.. I hated it.. I wasn't that good at it.. but I ws good at the running long jump.. broke some records there...all that exercise you didn't do was tiring...

Minyo said...

The weather finally cooperated yesterday! I think it's cool that you met Stinky at the finish line and she got to prove her "real" stuff to those boys. Hope you get some rest from all that exercise watching :)

Tara said...

So....she ran that much and THEN she threw discus first and threw her personal best? Suddenly I feel very depressed about my lack of physical activities. ;)

Congratulations to Stinky!

fringes said...

Wow. This makes me feel as inadequate as I do while reading the Sky Mall catalogue. I'll never have any of that stuff, either.

Your girls are awesome. The mom, too.

booda baby said...

I'm tired reading this.

To this day, even though I run only if I'm chasing a tennis ball, I get all excitable watching ... well, any sport. Even a marathon will stir up all sorts of 'ooh, ooh, that'd be fun' in me. My brain knows better, especially since I wouldn't have run one in the best of times, but that doesn't stop the sizzle.

NoRegrets said...

I couldn't even finish reading this, I was so tired...

rel said...

Churlita,
Thanks for that.
I remember similar days with great fondness. Going to my kids events, athletic and musical and dramatic were high lights of my life. Not the only highlights mind you, but definitely at the top of the list.
Stinky has guts!!!! the friggin' mile? Jesus! You tell her rel said; Good on you girl.
rel

-RM said...

That's hilarious, and kind of true. Oh so true. Don't feel bad, I think it happens to a lot of us. Watching a lot of basketball games and seeing a lot of super sweaty guys makes me a little tired as well.

David in DC said...

Gonna be hummin' Running on Empty all day now. It's OK, there are worse fates.

Congrats to Stinky on personal best and other good throws. And to Coadster on the powerhouse kick.

And to you on surviving it all.

David in DC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Churlita said...

Mr Atrocity,

Me too. Starting next week, I should have more time to go running again. I can't wait. I need my fix.

Evil-E,

Yeah. I guess the reading was amazing, but I just couldn't do it.

Mrs,

i was good at long jump too, but not as good as I was at running.

Minyo,

I know. It was the first Thursday in forever where we didn't have to cancel everything due to weather.

Tara,

Don't feel too bad. She was more exhausted than I was and went to be early. She never does that.

Fringes,

I'm sorry. I wish I could give you that, but I can't give you the money or the experience.

You and your kids are the awesome ones.

Booda BAby,

Weren't you some kind of track star in college?

Nor,

My writing can be very tiring even when I'm not writing about all that movement.

Rel,

I'm sure I'll miss not going when they graduate.

RM,

Watching seems to make me more tired than doing. who knows why.

David,

I'm sure I've even put worse songs in your head. I'm always good (or bad) for that.

DJSassafrass said...

I remember when I used to be a hard-core soccer player...years of alcohol and cigarettes have changed that!

laura b. said...

I think watching your kids do sports can be exhausting because you are so adrenalized watching them perform. Its a lot of fun though.