Sunday, September 23, 2007

All We Do Is Live to Win

I was going to put Coadster's school photo up when we got it, but apparently, according to Coadster, it was just too hideous and no one could see it. I thought it was really cute, but I remember being fifteen and I'm sure if I told her that, the horror of her mom saying her "hideous" picture was cute, might cause her to have a seizure. So, we are allowed to show you this one from the last football game with her friends.

I had a really good weekend. I ran a lot and the weather was amazing for that. I went out to a couple of different drinking establishments on Friday night and had a blast. On Saturday night I hosted Stinky's birthday party and it was surprisingly low key - except when the teenagers swarmed my house like locusts and ate and drank everything in my fridge.

As we were all getting ready to go home on Friday night, we wisely decided to skip the Guitar Hero thing at the Bijou. We figured we were all too lame to leave our houses after ten o'clock. Today I met my friends at The Vine for more Steelers watching. Originally, I thought I'd write about our Friday night exploits, but now I think I'll save that for tomorrow and write about football watching tonight, while I'm still kind of remembering our conversations.

This whole watching football on Sunday with my friend K. and some of our cute, funny male friends, is quickly becoming my new favorite thing. I'm even meeting some of the other guys outside of our table and they're really nice too. At one point, a man at the bar said, "Enough of this Tom Foolery, let's just start passing the ball."

"Excuse me. Did you just say 'Tom foolery' in reference to a football game?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah. I guess you don't hear that phrase very often any more do you?" He said and looked all sheepish.

"And that's why it's awesome. I think we should all try to say that at some point this afternoon." Of course, we all forgot about two seconds later, but I loved that it was said at all.

My friend C. came into town the night before and was on hand for the game. At one point, he started in on one of his favorite rants about how friends shouldn't ever date other friend's exes and he has reasons for this rant, but we all know his take on it by now, so I felt like I had to call him on his shit.

"This town is so small and incestuous, that if we didn't date our friend's exes, then we may not have anyone to date at all."

"That's bullshit. There's plenty of other people. I've never dated any of my friend's exes. I'm a man of principles," C. said.

"Okay Mr. Man of Principles, I dated a friend of yours. You mean to tell me that if I asked you to go home with me and have sex, you would say no because of your strong loyalties?" C. started to say something, stopped and quickly started talking about something else. "Oh no. Don't change the subject. I want to hear what you'd do." I knew C. well enough, to know that he'd figure out a way to rationalize being able to have sex with someone somehow, I was just curious to see what he'd say.

"Oh, well...Okay. That doesn't count because you guys only dated for a few months and he didn't really care about you anyway." Shit. I hate it when he pulls that card.

"Yeah. You're right. I guess that doesn't count. I was stupid and let myself get played."

"Good. I'm glad you said it, so I didn't have to."

"You know I'm not going home with you, right?" I asked.

"I know."

11 comments:

Mr Atrocity said...

"Tom Foolery" joins "Huzzah!", "japes", "blithering idiot" and "rotter" as words which need to be brought back - like Justin did for "sexy".

Margaret said...

cute picture

Tara said...

That's a great photo of Coadster and her friends! Looks like they were having fun that day!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Men have no tactfulness do they...? lol

booda baby said...

Oh, that sounds so fun and makes me miss Iowa City very very much. I didn't even get to watch Dallas-Bears for all the work and entertaining I was doing. And the entertaining had NO tom foolery, just tom bibbledeebabble and politics. Shit.

Stepping Over the Junk said...

dynamics of friends and dating are weird. Sometimes it can work, sometimes not.

Yes, you were right on your comment on my blog...Chef did read it and then called me...I am working on a post...he basically analyzed EVERYTHING and told me everything he thought about me and what was wrong with me and what was wrong with Steam...etc etc...whatever. I see him in my stats page, he has read the last few months all in a few days...it is creeping me out. It will be fun to write a post about it and then have him read it and people's comments about the creepiness of it. Ha.

laura b. said...

I always love hearing about you and your friends.
Guys should never try to argue with girls. They are just going to end up looking silly everytime...

David in DC said...

Scalliwag, rake and ne'er-do-well are other words I'd like to see come back into common usage.

Roundheel, trollop, and harlot too.

And maybe phantasmagorical.

Anonymous said...

Again with a Steelers reference...I am a die hard but did not get a chance to watch it due to a 3rd birthday party for "Wifey's" daughter. It was fun, but reiterated my goal of a hollow, sterile existence devoid of children.

Churlita said...

Mr Atrocity,

Except for huzzah!, I kind of like all those dorky phrases.

Margaret,

Thanks.

Tara,

She said it was a great night.

Mrs.,

Neither do I, but sometimes guys do that "I'm such a victim thing" a little too much, and then I get annoyed and have to call them on it. I feel like it's my job, especially when they're being more than a little hypocritical.

Booda BAby,

I hope that means you're a Bears fan, because Dallas? Ew.

Stepping,

I think it works when you know your friend well enough and they don't suddenly turn into someone different when you start dating.

What a putz that Chef was. Emotionally retarded guys like him, get so upset when they see men who really know how to behave in a relationship. I can't wait to read your new post.

LauraB.,

I'm afraid we both got caught looking silly after that exchange. Hey, I had it coming too.

David,

I love "harlot' and 'trollop'. I want to start using them more often.

Evil-E,

not to rub it in, but it was a pretty good game.

David in DC said...

Funny, I want to start using a harlot and a trollop more often, too. But RFB disapproves.

In this context, disapprove = "If you ever fall asleep again, expect to wake up with the imprint of a waffle-iron on your face."