Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'm Worth a Million in Prizes

Here is the painting Stinky made me for my birthday. She wanted to paint me flowers because she knows how much I love them, but the first photo she looked at was of fireworks. So, she painted a flower that looked like fireworks. Perfect

In 15 minutes I will officially be fortymuthafuckinfour years old. Shit, yo! That seems really really old when you look at it on paper. Luckily for me, it doesn't feel that old in the real world...Or whatever world it is that I live in.

I know people who get sad on their birthdays. I'm not one of those. I tend to celebrate it as long as I can. As far as I'm concerned, finishing every year is a HUGE fucking accomplishment. And beginning every year offers the prospect of another wonderfully ridiculous adventure.

I think if someone had told my 22 year old self that in that many more years, I'd be a single mom with two teenage daughters without being anywhere close to having a boyfriend, I'd feel sad about that.

On the other hand... If someone had told my 22 year old self that in that many more years, I'd still be running and bike riding and finally like myself and be comfortable in my body and my own skin, I'd be happy as hell. I'd have no idea what that would feel like, but I'd know I'd want to get to that place.

So, here I sit, careening dangerously close to 44. I'm in kick-ass shape, I know what to do to make myself happy, and I actually do those things. I have a job that's just fine, has great benefits, and gives me tons of freedom. I have two amazing daughters who actually respect me and think I'm almost as funny as I do. I am set and ready for action to deal with the wonderfully ridiculous year that awaits me. I am one, lucky, lucky fortymuthafuckinfour year old girl.

16 comments:

Ananda girl said...

Yes you are! And those are all the things that I admire so much about you. Congratulations Churlita and happy, happy birthday!

My mom was about that age when I asked her what that felt like. She told me "It feels exactly the same as when I was twenty." I thought it was a silly answer. But now I get it.

Mr Atrocity said...

Aces. Have an amazing birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, oh Churlish one. By the way, I looked into the future and you will 88 years old, still running and bike riding and still like yourself and still be comfortable in your own skin.

Have a great birthday, and send me some of that energy.

em for mighty said...

happy birthday, lady!!
birthdays are awesome--knock yourself out!

Pamela said...

Yes you are. And a great one too. Enjoy your day/life!

Brass Pear said...

All the best people have birthdays in July. I hope yours is a good one!

Tara said...

Now that's a birthday toast and a half!

Have a wonderful and fun birthday, Churlita!!

Stinky did an awesome job painting that flower!

Susan said...

Have an amazing birthday!! I hope your next year is f'n amazing!

Johnny Yen said...

"I'm worth a million in prizes?" Hey, that's my line!

Have yourself a great birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday...sorry I will miss the Dublin festivities...

this new place said...

Happy Birthday! I love the painting. You are in rockin' shape, and you are still cool. so count your blessings! heh heh. (and you have some cool kids too)

laura b. said...

Oh, I LOVE that painting! What a great gift. And I think this post is a very nice gift to yourself. Happy 44th Churlita and many, many, many more!!!

booda baby said...

Happy HAPPY birthday, you most wonderful of wonderfuls! There are so many HUGE gifts that come to us as we get older and one of them is knowing that if we're not anything like we imagined we'd be back when we were 22 or 23, that we're so much MORE than we COULD have imagined.

MrManuel said...

Happy Birthday again. Age is just a number and that is something I learned when I turned 30 last year. I feel no older and it is all about how you feel and act, not what the calendar says.

Minyo said...

Happy Birthday!!

j-dub said...

sounds like it was a birthday blast.

so, in the next 44 years you need to add some swimming in there and be the only 88-year old iron(wo)man triathlete.