Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Don't Want to End Up a Cartoon in a Cartoon Graveyard

Stinky took this photo of some African daisies I planted a few years ago that want to take over my garden.

So, I came home from work and couldn't get my computer to open. Since my first instinct is always to spaz, I freaked and just assumed my computer was dead and that I'd have to figure out if I could afford another one and if I couldn't, I might actually have to talk to people in person during the week and not rely on a certain social networking site to provide me with a life and then the whole world would explode and all of humanity would die off, leaving nothing but rubble, dander, and feces to remember us by...Then I got a paper bag out of the counter to breathe into and collected myself a bit. Once I did, I realized that it was just that our mouse was dead. Ahem. It was the one we got with the computer, so it should come as no surprise to a rational person....So, Stinky and I took a little trip to Best Buy and bought ourselves a new one for cheap. I don't know if you're aware of it, but in the last 5 or 10 years they came out with these new fangled things called wireless mouses, and they sure are neat-o. In other words, I love my new mouse.

On the way to the mall, Stinky was prattling on and said, "So, I guess Ellen's mom has gone totally crazy lately..."

"Uh oh. Is she okay? What is she doing?"

"Well, she's making Ellen turn her computer off at 9:30 every night to read for an hour," Stinky explained.

"Scandalous!"

"No. But I mean, it's Summer. You shouldn't have to start doing homework for at least another month."

"Didn't you say Ellen slacked-off last trimester and got really bad grades? Her mom is probably getting all crazy trying to help her daughter do better in school next year. Damn. They ought to get her in a straight jacket, where she can't do anymore good for herself or others...." I said and could almost feel Stinky's eyes roll.

While we were at Best Buy, I did make a little purchase. I'm not sure if you've heard of it? It's called the Watchmen movie? I never got a chance to see it when it came out in theaters. It was the first graphic novel I ever read way back in the 80's and so I've always had a soft spot in my heart (and head) for it. I didn't get a chance to watch it tonight, but I'm taking a whole week of vacation next week, so I intend to spend an amazing day reading my new graphic novels by a pool somewhere and then watching my new graphic (from what I've heard about the large blue appendage) movie at night. I should be in geek heaven whatever day that falls on. Woot!

8 comments:

Ananda girl said...

Glad you were warned about the schlong. hahahaha It... they... took me by surprise and upset my Squeaky who is sure that I've never seen one before and hopes that I never will. Yes, delusional child of mine.

I loved the computer story. Too funny.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had a lot of experience with the wireless mouse. I don't use my laptop on a flat surface and my desktop is stationary, so I use a wired mouse. I've heard of Watchmen, which I will probably throw in my Netflix queue.

As far as Stinky's friend's mom, straight-jacket and Demerol, stat! How dare she make her daughter read books during the summer.

Pamela said...

a whole week of vacation. sigh... thankfully mine's coming up.

Tara said...

My first instinct about the computer would've been to spazz out too. Spaz and tantrum, actually. But I'm glad that it wasn't the entire computer and that the mouse could be replaced!

em for mighty said...

freak out first then investigate...that's usually the plan of action i take as well.

tank girl; love & rockets; i love (& hope to someday write) graphic novels.

dmarks said...

So now you will be feasting your eyes on Schlong Smurf.

laura b. said...

How cool! A problem with a simple solution...I love that.
I think Ellen's mom may be my hero. I tend to get as lacksidaisical as the kids during the summer.
Ooooohhhh, vacation. That word just sounds magical to me. And I know you'll make great use of yours.

Churlita said...

Ananda,

Yes, it seems the schlong is all anyone can talk about...Which is just another reason for me to want to see the movie.

AlienCG,

All I have is a desktop and it's nice not to have to worry about the cord catching on anything.

Pamela,

Yeah. I can't wait. The next two days will probably go too slowly.

Tara,

For sure. I could afford $20, but I wouldn't be able to afford hundreds.

Em,

Love and Rockets is my favorite too.

DMarks,

Schlong Smurf. That's hilarious.

LauraB.,

When do you get vacation next?