Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Believe it or Not It's Just Me

Here is a photo that Stinky took of Clinton Street in downtown Iowa City.

Tonight I had a ton of stuff that needed to get done, and because I'm a total fucking genius, I piddled away all my time making mix CD's for some of my friends. I know I've mentioned several times that I get a little obsessive about music and I own probably the best and the worst songs you'll ever hear. The big problem with me, (okay, one of them) is that I'm an equal opportunity music listener, so inevitably all of you will hate me for different cheesy songs I put on the CD's. Of course, I'm going to show them to you anyway. So, I made a cheesy dance mix with suggestions from friends and then added some of my own favorite Velveeta. I also put together a 70's am radio compilation, mixed in with a few TV theme songs for my favorite bartender S. who appreciates schlock as much as I do. Without further ado, here are my two playlists. I can't wait to feel the collective wince from the blogosphere.

Cheesy Summer Dance Mix

1. Cruel Summer - Bananarama

2. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson

3. Poison - Bell Biv DeVoe

4. Livin' On a Prayer - Bon Jovi

5. Fantastic Voyage - Coolio

6. Me, Myself and I - De La Soul

7. We Got the Beat - The Go-Go's

8. My Sharona - The Knack

9. Hey Ya! - OutKast

10. Fight the Power - Public Enemy

11. Hey Mama - Black Eyed Peas

12. What I Like About You - The Romantics

13. Wild Thing - Tone-Loc

14. Could You Be Loved - Bab Marley and the Wailers

15. Any Way You Want it - Journey

16. Get Up Offa That Thing - James Brown

17. Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite

18. December, 1963 (Oh What a Night) - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

19. PYT (Pretty Young Thing) - Michael Jackson


Seventies Pop Hits and TV Theme Songs:

1. Lonely Boy - Andrew Gold

2. Couldn't Get it Right - Climax Blues Band

3. Fooled Around and Fell in Love - Elvin Bishop

4. Sanford and Son Theme Song - Quincy Jones

5. I'd Really Love to See you Tonight - England, Dan and John Ford Coley

6. Never Been Any Reason - Head East

7. I Wanna Be Where You Are - The Jackson 5

8. The Banana Splits Theme Song - The Banana Splits

9. Dancing in the Moonlight - King Harvest

10. Shambala - Three Dog Night

11. Dance with Me - Orleans

12. Theme From The Greatest American Hero - Mike Post featuring Larry Carlton

13. Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils

14. Amy - Pure Prairie League

15. Ironside (excerpt) - Quincy Jones

16. Diamond Girl - Seals and Crofts

17. On and On - Stephen Bishop

18. I Saw the Light - Todd Rundgren

19. The Green Hornet theme - unknown artist

20. Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

21. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

22. Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass

Okay, if those playlists don't leave you running for ice picks to dig out the ear worms, I don't know what will. You can thank me later - after you're calmed down, committed and on anti-psychotic meds.

21 comments:

minijonb said...

actually, Bananarama is the shizniz.

you need to find the song "Make Me a Mix-Tape" by The Promise Ring. you'll love it.

Mr Atrocity said...

Don't know what you're talking about; it's all killer, no filler.

rel said...

Churlita,
Music is in the ear...if it rocks your boat then what does it matter if others agree?
I was thinking last night; why is it that we can close our eyes but not our ears?
What, no country?
rel

Anonymous said...

Outkast and Black Eyed Peas have to go...horrible

I have a cover of the Banana Splits song by the Dickies that is awesome.

the brunt of the lists was OK, pretty common juke box stuff for most corner bars...

Anonymous said...

re your seventies list... love it!

So many songs from an interesting time in my life, not really good songs but they trigger good memories.

I will download a lot of them to my ipod at once.

NoRegrets said...

Oh, I so want a copy of both!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I changed my mind. I do want a copy of both. I will be up sometime near the end of the week to see William.

Sissy

Susan said...

I really want a copy of the cheesy dance mix. I'm jamming mentally right now...

DJSassafrass said...

Ummm...I own all the AM Gold and Singers and Songwriters sets. Oh and we can't forget Easy Rock and Easy Riding (subs. cheesy for easy if you like). I am that girl who buys music off tv commercials...and I love it!

Anonymous said...

dude, i am totally pumped! that is perfect music for dancing around my house in my underwear!

don't forget about the fantasticness of the flash gordon soundtrack by queen. FLASH! aaaAAAHHH!

M. Robert Turnage said...

The only thing I would add to the summer list is the song "Saints" by The Breeders. The chorus goes, "Summer is ready when you are."

Tara said...

I love that you have the theme song to "Greatest American Hero" on there. Also, you can't have a summer song mix without Bananarama's "Cruel Summer". I also love "Poison" from Bel Biv DeVoe.

booda baby said...

Pure Praire League! Don't you think they'd be a perfect kind of band for now? Okay, maybe that's just me.

Poptart said...

You must know how much I LOVE love love Greatest American Hero and thanks to you I am gonna be hearing that theme song all day.

I sing when I ride my bike sometimes, so I can just imagine how many grins (mostly thru open car windows) I will cause on the way downtown today after work!

laura b. said...

I love many of the songs on your lists. Say what you will, but Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) is one of my favorite songs ever.

Minyo said...

It just hit me. Your post title..."Believe it or Not It's Just Me". I had the 45 of that song. I loved "Greatest American Hero".

Churlita said...

MiniJonB,

I'll check it out and I'm sure I'll love it.

Mr Atrocity,

There's no Van Halen on it, but I'll make sure to put some on the next one.

Rel,

Pure Prairie League is pretty country. Vince Gil was the lead singer.

Evil-E,

I've heard that Dickies cover. I love it.

Jin,

Exactly. It's all nostalgia music. I used to listen to the radio late at night when i was a kid and couldn't sleep and all those songs remind me of that.

Nor,

If you lived here, I'd bring them both to your house.

Moy,

You got it. You might also want to look and pick your favorites and I'll make you your own personal favorites dance mix.

Susan,

I wish I could hand it out to anyone who wanted it when you entered my blog space.

DJ,

Isn't that what we first bonded over? Out love for cheesy music?

Girl Crush,

The dance mix is all ready for you the next time I see you. I just dropped D.'s and J.'s off at their house tonight.

Tara,

Cruel Summer is one of the best warm weather songs ever.

Booda Baby,

I know. They were Alt Country when Alt Country wasn't cool.

M.R. T.

I know. Actually, I'd be happy with almost any Breeders song.

Poptart,

It would make me so happy to drive past you when you were riding your bike and singing, "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air..."

LauraB,

The funny thing is that my daughters love that song too.

Minyo,

Did you have a crush on William Katt and his tight blonde perm too?

AlienCG said...

Some of the stuff in there, I like. Now I have a Baker Street earworm damn it.

Anonymous said...

I cant stop laughing. when I make mixes for people, I wait for the roar after the silence when they see the list of random cheese I put on there

LA said...

Oh jeebus....looks like your musical tastes haven't changed one iota in the last 10+ years. (Insert loud belch)

Tera said...

Girl that "Cheesy" mix is not Chessy AT ALL.....I am feeling the ENTIRE list!!! I was over here shaking my ass as I thought of each song!