Thursday, July 17, 2008

With or Without Your Best Intentions

Okay, kids. Here's the dealio. I started this post last night, but then there were all kinds of crazy thunderstorms and we always turn-off and unplug our computer when there's lightning dancing around outside. So, now I'm going to write this in the morning.

What did I do last night? Well, I'm glad you asked. When I got home from work, I reserved all the camping spots and motels for our vacation. I had been waiting a bit, because of the wildfires, but then there was only a week left and I wanted to make sure there were spaces available.

Then I got a text from my friend K. telling me to come meet them. I thought about it, but I was too tired and just wanted to stay home with my girls. So, I called her back and they were at George's eating cheeseburgers and drinking beer, and even that couldn't get me out of my house, so I wussed out and stayed in with my girls and watched a little bit of the Rock Honors Tribute to The Who and then we watched that literary girl movie where Anne Hathaway plays Jane Austen, and then I went to bed. As far as I was concerned, I couldn't have spent my evening any better.

So, hey. Guess who's getting married on Saturday? That's right. My girl crush is. She was supposed to jump the broom at the student union, but since it's all gross and flooded and probably stinky and full of mold spores, they moved it to a better location on campus. I cannot wait. My girl crush, being my girl crush, is all about the dorky dancing too, so it should be crazy good times.

Plus, look at those two crazy, whacky/unpredictable kids:


Could you even imagine them NOT having a fun wedding? I know. Me either.

As a side note: Mr Awesome texted and called me a few weeks back (when he was sober, for the first time) to see if I would hang out with him if he came to visit me the weekend after the Fourth. I told him I had plans that weekend. My wedding date guy had already said he was coming up for the hippie fest thingy. Since the wedding date guy had already proved to me that he was willing to make an effort and be consistent and fun and treat me very, very well, I sure as hell wasn't about to throw him over the side for Mr Awesome who was fast becoming Mr HitandRun guy.

So, I told Mr Awesome that if he wanted to see me, he could come the following weekend and be my date for Girl Crush's wedding. He said that would work and we had this great, long phone conversation, and then I haven't heard from him since. His loss. His name has officially been changed to Mr HitandRun and I'll be attending this wedding solo. Which, if I remember junior high and high school dances correctly, is always way better because you're free to hang with your awesome girly friends and aren't stuck trying to entertain a guy who may or may not be all that much fun.

Have a great weekend. I hope you all have as much fun as possible whether you go places by yourself, or with a greatly significant other.

14 comments:

NoRegrets said...

Oh, have a wonderful time. And I'm getting into this solo thing too... you can see my blog.

Anonymous said...

I just know you'll have a fabulous time at that wedding! And I say you just start right out by telling everyone that it is a wedding reception/birthday party for you. That way there'll be no confusion. ;-)

Mr Atrocity said...

Hope the weather holds out for a fun dance-packed wedding.

Susan said...

Have a great time flying solo! I have somehow got roped into not flying solo. Where are these men coming from and why won't they leave me alone?

Tara said...

Thank you for putting a positive spin on going to a wedding alone. I definitely had more fun at the reception without having to entertain a date. I sat next to a couple at the table that didn't go up to dance at all. They missed out on some fun dancing.

Whenever you mention cheeseburgers and beer, I get an immediate craving.

laura b. said...

Is it hard to see you girl crush getting married? He does look like a fun guy. I guess you are not losing a girl crush, you are gaining the most official member of your girl crush fan club ever! Enjoy the wedding :-)

rel said...

Churlita,
I project that you'll have an incredible time solo! Enjoy.
rel

Poptart said...

Have a great time at the wedding tonight! I never have dates to those things, and I'm always glad that there isn't that awkwardness about whether it's serious or not, brought on by listening to stories of how they met.

Girl crush is adorable. I bet she will be stunning in her wedding dress!

DJSassafrass said...

Mr HitandRun is a true weirdo--and not in the good way like we are. Have a fab time at the wedding today!

dmarks said...

Sounds like a nice time. I am into The Who, but not Jane Austen.

Anonymous said...

nickname changes are serious business...

have fun at the wedding and get in lots of trouble

the boys are knocking down the door lately...you have powers my dear

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Great that you are going solo.. its always more fun.. Have a great time and hope the weather is good...

AlienCG said...

I've flown solo for many years. It's not all bad. Have fun at the wedding.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Your girl crush and her man have cheekbones and dimples for days - so cute!

You are going to be great and probably have more fun at the wedding without some dude hanging off of you.

unencumbered = good time