Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Won't You Come and Join the Party Dressed to Kill

Just in case you've never been to the Midwest before, this is what it feels like to be surrounded by corn.

So, my birthday was very nice and mellow - just the way I wanted it. I worked all day, received some very sweet birthday texts from the wedding date guy and some messages from my friend C. who lives in Fort Madison and FMDM., almost my whole family called me and left messages and I got various other texts from friends and all the attention I could ever want...And I'm the youngest child, so it's hard to get to that place with me.

After work, I went to the Farmer's Market and to the Co-op. It's such a social scene in this town, so it's impossible to run down and get a few things and leave. I ran into my friend Ashley and her man and her gorgeous little girl. She was on her way to the same cookout where I was headed, so we chatted quickly and I bought my fresh basil and the few things I needed at the Co-op and dashed home to make the cheese tortellini with pesto and sour cream mixed together and fresh spinach.

I got to K.'s boyfriend A.'s house and the spread there was insane. There were tons of salads and breads and sauteed beets, and shish-kabob and salmon, and hotdogs for the kids and sangria and what my friend W. called Tarjitos (which is based on my name and it was like a mojito but with vodka instead of rum). Everything was wonderful.

There were tons of little boys there who were happy to play warriors with me and I gave myself the super power of being able to heal myself from all my wounds. But then the oldest kid there said we could only have so many lives and that totally screwed with my awesome super power. Stupid older kids and their rules...

Anyway, I ate amazing food, I drank a couple of really nice drinks and got to use my special karate chopping action and Kung-Fu grip. In other words, my birthday was exactly what I wanted. And best of all, it's not over until I say it is, and Friday I still get to go on a girl date with my daughters to see a matinee and eat appetizers for dinner. Hip hip, hooray!

17 comments:

-RM said...

Kick ass! Glad you had a bad ass birthday!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like everything went according to your plan. That's what the birthdays are all about.

rel said...

Churlita,
Sometimes the best things come to people who deserve it. I'm happy you had a great day!
rel

DJSassafrass said...

I LOVE appetizers for dinner! Glad your bday was great-you deserve it! Oh, you also reserve the right to make your bday strech into the weekend.

NoRegrets said...

At the minimum, these days, you get a birthweek. So keep on partying!

Minyo said...

Glad you had an awesome day on your birthday! It's nice when birthday expectations are met and even better when they're exceeded. Your plan with your girls sounds like a fun time too. Enjoy the rest of you B-day week.

Minyo said...

oops....I meant "your b-day" not you b-day. I forgot to proof read.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

sounds like you really kicked ass hardcore.. just have a great time with the girls..

Tara said...

Tarjitos..I love that. Sounds like your birthday was awesome!

Susan said...

A birthday week is awesome! I shall celebrate your birthday on Friday.

laura b. said...

Sounds like a great birthday. I would have totally taken over your pan of cheese tortellini...no one else would have stood a chance.
Keep celebrating!!!

Anonymous said...

I used to run in the cornfields in college track. your birthday sounds lovely. i love big spreads of food like that. could you send your tortolini recipe please?

Poptart said...

But wait, was there a cake for you?

Have fun at the girly movie and have a great day off!

AlienCG said...

Now that sounds like a perfect birthday. The buffet sounds like my type of spread. Happy Birthday again.

Anonymous said...

Uh, let me get this straight. You AND evil-e have the same birthday?

Well, happy happy!!!

I'm glad to hear you had a fabulous day.

Here's to all the best on your next trip around the sun.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

People will apologize for sending cards or calling after my birthday, but I never mind having it drag out a little longer.

I can appreciate your 'it's not over till I say it is' philosophy. That's damn right.

NoRegrets said...

BTW, are you a child of the corn?