Sunday, July 13, 2008

Through Every Forest Above the Trees

Well, kids. I finally got my internet up and running again. I messed around with it and then just restored the session to a happier, magical, mythical time when my internet actually worked - like last Sunday. So, now it's up and running and I have oh, so much to post. Tonight I'll just do a quick review of the hippie music fest with tons and tons of photos - just to make up for all the pics I haven't been able to post lately.

If you've ever been to a music fest, this one wasn't too different. It had all those things you expect to find with hippies. You know, like people selling everything from shrooms, to smoothies, to ceramic pipes, to tie-dyes.

Here is my wedding date guy hula-hooping. We all got into it, so don't be surprised if you get a bunch more photos of us in the very near future.

My wedding date guy came up on Thursday night and so we got to spend lots of time together this weekend. I had my girls on Friday, which meant that I came out to the fest for a bit and drove back and forth into town, taking my girls where they needed to go and then finally just staying home and going to bed.

The Iowa City rugby team provided security for the event. My friend's husband is a member, and so when I came back on Saturday afternoon, she filled me in on the drama that I missed the night before. Apparently, some chuckle head decided it would be a great idea to mix E and PCP and then freaked-out at about 3 am (duh). He went around screaming that he was going to die and biting people, until someone alerted security, who were all off at 2 and may have been a little, tiny bit drunk. I guess they finally rallied their troops and took the dumb ass down and hopefully, he didn't have rabies.

Anyway, Saturday was more fun than anyone should be allowed to have. I didn't love every band, but there were a couple of really amazing performances. There was this band called Bumpus from Chicago who played super, funky 70's soul music and they were fucking awesome. They did a cover of Nine Inch Nails', Closer that would have knocked my socks off, had I been wearing any. If you like that kind of music, you should check them out. Cornmeal also played and I'm a girl who likes Bluegrass in any form, so they made me very happy too.

There were also tons of drum circles, as you would expect. Some of the guys in this picture were from Africa and they had all kinds of super cool instruments who's names I can't either remember and/or pronounce. Trust me, the sound was great.


I know you won't be surprised when I show you this photo of people all fucked up and lying on the ground, holding hands and looking at the stars. They were trying to get me and my friends to join them, but I don't think I had been doing enough of the right kind of drug to forget how itchy I would get from that beautiful, wonderful experience, man.

Finally, at the end of every night, there was a rave with a DJ and cool light show and a bunch of guys dancing around with fire. There was more spectacle than you could shake a fiery stick at.

Whew! I'm tired just relating it all to you. I promise, if my internet holds out, I will get into some of the other topics I threatened to talk about last week. Fair warning.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

My internet gave me grief for a few days as well...plus the whole birthday thing. I am back and being a regular again.

I almost got thrown out of some hippie fest about ten years ago for going security on some freak out guy. Why do people think it's a good idea to mix drugs? They turn bright red from over flow of blood, start running around like ranting lunatics, and in the end get their asses kicked by several people.

Looks like you had fun, even though you had to wade through some yuck bands to get to the good stuff. Big shows are like that.

AlienCG said...

Looks like an interesting weekend at the Hippy Fest.

"... who's names I can't either remember and/or pronounce."

That's because you can't spell that clicking sound.

rel said...

Churlita,
Coming of age in the sixties you might think I'm familiar with Hippies and music fests, but I'm a stay outta crowds kinda guy, so Have never been to a music fest; unless you count a Neil Diamond concert at Saratoga. That was in 1971 I think.
I do have some friends who went to woodstock in '69.
Glad you had a good time!
rel

Mr Atrocity said...

I'm not a lover of camping so the whole festival thing leaves me a bit cold, though I went to one once (it rained). That said I can appreciate the lazy, happy vibe with good music part of it all.

Peace, man.

Anonymous said...

Looks like an awesome weekend. Glad you had a blast, dude.

Tara said...

Yay, glad your internet is back up! Those are great photos, I especially like the first shot of the multi-colored tents in the sunlight and also of your wedding date guy playing with the hoola hoop. Those are always fun.

LA said...

Looks like a sweet, patchouli filled weekend! I am sure you got your fill of circle dancing, drunken collegiate trustifarians peacen' out with their stinky ferrets on rainbow leashes. Ride the Jerry vibe!!!

LA said...

Oh, and I truly love the cornfield in the backround. I am sure your evenings were filled with cicadas, fireflies and the assorted cigger/mozzie bites. Loves me the country Iowa summertime. Sigh...

NoRegrets said...

wow, what a weekend...

Susan said...

Wow this is awesome. We have this big "art center" about 30 minutes from where I live. These sort of things happen constantly there.

booda baby said...

Well, I'm not so much tired from reading that, but I DO feel like a smoked an awfffffful lot of weed. I like a good hippie gala every once in awhile. I might like it more if I didn't hate patchouli so much.

Poptart said...

Did you guys camp? And the real question is, did YOU hula hoop? Pictures please!

Glad you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to figure out the internet stuff. I knew you would. You are very smart. The wedding date boy is very cute. It is fun to have a cute date once in a while or every day.

laura b. said...

I make fun sometimes, but I think at heart I am sort of a crunchy granola hippie type, so that weekend sounds like da bomb to me. Not into the substances, but tie-dye and sandals are excellent.

Margaret said...

i'm so glad you've got the 'net back! the world needs your pictures

Anonymous said...

having a weekend like that would absolutely kill me. I was up til midnight on Saturday night and that nearly killed me. Your wedding date guy looks like someone I knew once. But I forget the guys' name.