Tuesday, July 15, 2008

July is Dressed Up and Playing Her Tune

This will be quick and random since it's late and I'm still brain dead from this weekend.

Poptart asked for more hoola-hooping photos and I'm always happy to oblige, so here is one of my friend K.

I'm still working out the kinks with my computer. I know now that it's the stupid Windows update that has brought me all that grief. The big problem now, is that I had to turn off my automatic update, or it keeps reinstalling it when I turn off my computer and then I have to continually take my computer back in time to Sunday or Monday before it was installed and it just goes on and on. I did figure out how not to automatically update on my computer, but does that mean I can never install an update if I want internet access, and if so, don't I need the other updates that don't prevent me from getting to the web? Ugh. I just don't know.


Okay, I'm tired of all this computer talk. It's making my head hurt. Instead, let's make fun of me for a minute. First of all, look at how dorky I am when I'm hoola hooping. Secondly, I'll tell you all a little story from Sunday. Wanna hear it? No? Too bad. Here it goes:

Stinky and I were at the store in the frozen food aisle. As I was looking at something in one of the freezers, Stinky walked by and swatted me on the butt with whatever grocery item she had in her hand right then (she's really funny like that). She must have kept walking, because when I looked behind me to see what the hell she was doing, there was only a very professorial looking older gentleman standing there. He had a big smile on his face and said, "Just so you know, that wasn't me." And then we both had a good laugh. Oh, the dorkiness never ends in my world and I always appreciate it.

This kid here was at the festival teasing all the other kids with his dollar on a string trick. That is, until one of the other kids got really annoyed and put his squirt gun up to his head and told the kid to hand the money over. It was so very wrong and funny and not the least bit groovy all at the same time.

Okay, that's all I got. Come back tomorrow when I'm going to try not to be so sleep deprived. Who knows? Maybe I'll be able to hold a thought or finish a sentence. Anything's possible, you know.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renee gets mad at me when I do that in the store....

Stupid Microsoft updates...I think it is some kind of evil conspiracy to keep us from running our blogs. The update had me dead for a couple of days as well. I was at a total loss.

-RM said...

That is wrong, but funny, and 'not groovy'. LMAO.

rel said...

churlita,
Yeah Stinky! Way to go girl.
rel

Mr Atrocity said...

OK, great big nerd comment coming up. You might want to have some caffeine before this:

You can turn off automatic updates for Windows and download them manually as and when you choose. The updates generally patch up security holes in Windows that have been discovered and are exploitable by malware. By not keeping your machine up to date you make it more likely that something nasty could get onto your machine, be that a virus, trojan or whatever. So basically you do want to keep your machine as patched up to date as possible.

If you want the grisly details of this month's Patch Tuesday updates they are here.

Looking through that there are a couple of things that might cause the problem, one relates to DNS (the system that points your browser at the correct server when you type an address into it) and there's a general security flaw that's been patched within Windows itself.

Reading the comments following this post here it seems that you are not alone and at present Microsoft are telling XP users to do what you have done already. If you're feeling brave you could try installing next month's patch which will be available from the second Tuesday in August.

Hope that helps a wee bit.

Tara said...

It's the frozen-grocery-store-item butt-smacking bandit. You might think it's Stinky, but I'll bet that smiling guy is the real culprit. ;)

Susan said...

I love the hula hoop picture. You look like you were having a blast.

Goooo Stinky!

booda baby said...

Computer Help Desks are always surprised that I'm still using Service Pack 1 and other ancient with updates and had to spend hours and hours on the phone with India to resolve it.

It's a lot of hours, yes, but I'm still a huge fan of calling MS and getting a remote team to work on it. And completely ignoring their 'well this'll cost you' crap. 'Let us not talk that way,' say I. 'Let us talk THIS way: you FIX this and you do it without charging me and we'll all be happy.' And they do.

Now I use Firefox and every morning, pull up my task mgr. (ctrl+alt+delete) and shut down all SORTS OF MS things running in the background.

Poptart said...

Love the hooping pics! Yea!

NoRegrets said...

That poor little boy...

dmarks said...

The updates also plug old malware holes and open up new ones.

Anonymous said...

I love that Stinky is being your grocery store wing-girl.

did grinning man have a ring?

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I'm usually alone in the grocery store and wishing someone would bop me on the ass with a frozen entree.

MrManuel said...

You should be able to pick what updates you want and what ones you don't. I think....

laura b. said...

I like the hula hooping and the butt smacking...and even the water pistol incident. What a long strange trip it's been.

AlienCG said...

You don't look dorky trying to hula-hoop.

By the way, do you use ZoneAlarm? The MS Update may be reacting with it.

Churlita said...

Evil-E,

Yeah. It was so weird. you'd think Microsoft would have sent an email around letting people know what happened.

RM,

I know, right?

Rel,

We don't call her Stinky for nothing.

Mr Atrocity,

Thanks for all the info. I'll try the next update in August and see if it lets me onto the web.

Tara,

i should check the police reports for other incidences.

Susan,

I was. I hadn't hoola-hooped since the girls were little.


Booda Baby,

I totally heart Firefox. Explorer sucks so bad.

Poptart,

You should come back to town and hoola-hoop with us.

Nor,

Yeah. Whatever. The kid had it coming.

DMarks,

I'll have to wait for the next one, because if I install it, I don't get any web access whatsoever.

Not,

GRinning man was WAY too old for me. I didn't check for a ring.

Lady,

I'm sure you could make it happen just by standing in one place long enough.

MrMAnuel,

Cool. thanks.

LauraB.,

Ha ha. This whole weekend has been kind of on the hippie side.

AlienCG,

I don't. I use AVG, so maybe it's that.

Anonymous said...

LOL, the grocery store story made me laugh. And I've always wanted to do the dollar-on-a-string trick!!