Sunday, November 26, 2006

I Came in Here for That Special Offer, a Guaranteed Personality

Really, today I'm only good for a "random thoughts" post - it's about as cohesive as I'm going to get. Let's begin, shall we?

1.) This picture right here? This happens to be one of my all time favorite family photos. We're like some weird, early seventies, straight, family version of The Village People. My Mom is all cute and put together as usual. (if you could see her hands, you would notice that her fingernail polish matches her light pink lipstick) My oldest sister, is doing her best to act like little miss normal girl, but don't believe it for a second. My brother is the monkey face guy, my sister Moira, is the First Holy Communion girl (you remember that member of The Village People, don't you?) and I am some kind of feral, dreadlocked, cowgirl. Just in case you were wondering, my cowgirl outfit was made from something akin to naugahyde and I wore it almost everyday in the summer, in Phoenix. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, thank god these blogs aren't scratch and sniff.

2.) I had a migraine and a cold for my family shindig on Saturday. What my condition did, was take away my usual, overly defensive, passive/aggressive reaction to my family and replace it with a spaced-out, distracted response. I'll have to call my sister and ask her which one is more annoying.

3.) I can't let myself think about going back to work tomorrow, because right now the whole act of getting up at seven, putting on clothes, remembering to grab my lunch out of the freezer, walking to work and sitting in my cubicle from 8 - 4:30 seems impossible. Aren't I being just a tad dramatic here, you ask? No, I really don't think so.

4.) To any of you who have young children, I highly recommend taking as many photos as possible when you catch them dancing with such conviction. Someday, they will turn fourteen and you will need to return to these and seek solace in a time when they weren't too cool for the universe.

5.) Someone found my blog by googling "love and shit" and now I feel like a total asshole for not naming my blog that in the first place. It would be at least as accurate as "Churlish Figure".

8 comments:

booda baby said...

Oo. I love a good subtitle (which makes up for how stupid I think a tag line is)Churlish Figure: love and shit. Yet more proof that if we all work together, etc. etc.

Churlita said...

Oh my god. that's too perfect. Originally, I was thinking about making it Churlish Figure: Ungooglable. But Churlish Figure: Love and Shit seems more appropriate.

Anonymous said...

every family needs a picture of their village people!

Churlita said...

Margaret,

I agree. Sometimes it's important to photograph us when we're displaying our most distinct personality traits...And sometimes it's just scary.

Anonymous said...

Nope, not dramatic at all. For some reason trying to wake up in time for work, AFTER time off from work is about as impossible as..well, work.

Also, that is the cutest dance pic/bargaining chip. As in, "if you don't [insert parental request here], I'm going to e-mail this photo to all of your friends!

Churlita said...

ILYITF,

Thanks for backing me up on that one.

And don't you worry. I was really thinking ahead and I've taken so many blackmail pics, my girls can barely fathom it.

Anonymous said...

how did your mother do it ? 4 kids and she looked great! I don
t look 1/2 that good on a bad day - great clothes and oh yea you looked pretty damn cute too!

Churlita said...

AKelly,

I have no idea how she did it. She was almost always put together like that. I've often wondered if I would be more like that had my mom been alive during my adolescence. Judging by what a ragamuffin I was in this pic, I kind of doubt my mom would have rubbed off on me in that regard.