Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Yeah, We're Gonna Be So Cool Twisting By the Pool

Another pic of the Coralville dam spillway area.

Hey, kids. I don't have a hell of a lot going on my life right now...And I'm fine with that. Basically, it was a hot humid day and I tried to run and I've been sleeping even less than I normally do the last few nights (which is pretty damn scary) and I decided to shorten my route to 3 miles, just so I didn't pass out. I was heading down First Avenue, when I saw a realtor's sign for an apartment complex or townhouses or something that said, "Ahhhh. A pool." I looked through the slats of the fence, and saw it, all serene and blue and mocking me with its unobtainable promise of instant relief from the heat. It was one of the cruelest running moments I've ever had.

9 comments:

Mnmom said...

Love the spillway.
You should have scaled the fence and jumped in!

Tara said...

I want to jump into our apartment's pool before it opens, because it looks so tempting. But then by the time I'm out of work or I think of it during the weekend, it is filled to the rim with other tenants.

MrManuel said...

Jump through and go in....all the cool kids are doing it.

SkylersDad said...

You need to make friends with somebody who lives in the apartment complex. Just long enough to have a key made of course.

laura b. said...

Apartment pools are best, because then you don't have to take care of them.
I hope you went right home and played in the sprinkler :-)

Johnny Yen said...

Oh my...

A couple of weeks ago, I was bicycling (easier on my damaged knee than running) on a particularly hot and humid day. I ran through my water and was becoming seriously dehydrated-- I kept hoping to run into someone watering their lawn. Fortunately, I found a fountain in a park to replenish my water bottle.

Pamela said...

Hey - just jump the fence! You don't need to be a role model to your children any more. And they can get you out of jail now. Or almost can.

Churlita said...

MnMom, Yeah. If it were chainlink, I might have. It happened to be made of wood and very, very tall.

Tara, You should do it some morning - for the sheer rebeliousness of it.

MrManuel, Well I do want the cool kids to like me...

Skyler's, That's it! There's always an in, you just have to think of it.

Johnny, A fountain would have been perfect. I wish there had been one handy.

Pamela, You're right. They have my PIN for my debit card, so they could even get me bail money.

rel said...

churlita,
Just think about the yearly upkeep and pools lose there appeal.
rel