Tuesday, April 06, 2010

She Said a Bad Day's When I Lie In Bed and Think of Things That Might Have Been

Here are some Irises in one of my raised beds.

Okay. Here's the dealio. I gave plasma after work and it was fine again. I'm really getting into my book, but it still cracks me up, because it's a retelling of the Prodigal Son and there's such heavy talk about piety and coming back home twenty years older and trying to establish yourself as an adult within your family and I'm reading it at the plasma center. I'm sure none of you will be at all surprised when I tell you how much I love that juxtaposition.

After plasma, I ran. It was so warm and humid and there were storms and amazing clouds all around our town, but they didn't hit us while I was running. What did hit me though, was dehydration. I have to be so careful when I try to run after giving plasma and it's hot outside. Duh, I know. But they're only able to put a percentage of fluids back in me and even if I drink a bunch of water first, as I found out today, I can come back from my run feeling pretty damn woozy. Nothing like a free high, right?

Tomorrow I might actually get an evening to myself and if I do, I'll try to do a bit of real writing. I'm planning on taking off where my last writing exercise left off. Now, though? Now, I'm super beat and so I'm going to hydrate myself and read for a little minute and try to sleep. Night, night.

10 comments:

rel said...

Churlita,
Golly, I give you credit for running after giving plasma!
But then again your irises are peeking out and it seems a little early....
rel

Mnmom said...

That "barn" behind you rocks!

I give you credit for running at all, so you get triple credit for running after giving plasma. Still makes me wince that a working Mom would have to give plasma to make ends meet.

Tara said...

Is giving plasma like giving blood where they encourage you to eat some crackers and snacks as well as drink lots of fluids? I'm wondering if that would help before you go on a run afterwards.

We were supposed to get rain yesterday but received sun instead. It was a perfect day for an after work walk.

Pamela said...

You are nuts. But in a good way. As long as you don't die.

SkylersDad said...

Maybe you should give yourself a break and take a day off from running when you donate.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Yesterday it was much coller out and today it's humid.. We are having Thunerstorms here atm.. and raining.. But it's far better than shovelling snow!

How often do you give Plasma? Is there a quota per month?

booda baby said...

Oh, what a combination. Plasma gone, heat and humidity up ... very sensual.

I am so eager to read more of your writing. Hurry, hurry.

Ananda girl said...

I do not know how you do it!

I too am looking forward to your next writing sample. Cool beans.

laura b. said...

We are all in awe :-) But, yes, please be careful with your little self!
Enjoy your evening of writing and I will definitely be looking forward to the results.

Churlita said...

Rel, It's not too early for the Irises to peek out in Iowa...Usually.

MnMom, I know. There are a couple converted barns in my neighborhood and I love them. I'm sure if my ex would ever help out financially, I wouldn't have to give plasma, but I gave up waiting for that to happen like 12 years ago.

Tara, Yes, I ate a little and drank some water before I ran. It was just REALLY humid and warm.

Pamela, I won't die. I'm a pretty tough cookie, don't you know.

Skyler's, I do sometimes, but I can only donate on certain days of the week and yesterday happened to be the only day it hasn't rained all week, so I decided to risk it and run.

Mrs. I can give plasma twice a week. The first time I do it they give me $20 and the 2nd time they give me $30. It pays to do it both days.

Booda Baby, I posted it, but you may sing a different tune after you read it. Ha ha.

Ananda, I'm a little crazy and a little driven and a lot addicted to running. :)

LauraB., My evening of writing was cut short, but I did manage to eke out a little post.