Sunday, January 21, 2007

All I Want Now is Happiness for You and Me

Oh, Winter. I know I've talked so much shit about you in the past, and I'm sorry. You've also paid me back by making those below zero temperatures last week, so I know you've heard me. All those people who call you "Old Man Winter", have never experienced the wrath of a teenaged girl before. Old men can be cantankerous, but they do not have the energy to throw the kinds of tantrums you do.

Because everyone is sick to death of celebrity feuds, and I'm tired of harboring all this hate in my tiny blackened soul, I thought maybe we could settle our differences. It's not like we have to be best girlfriends and drink wine and make fun of Wife Swap together or anything. I was just thinking along the lines of peacefully coexisting.

Since I've become a bit of an expert on dealing with teenaged girls, I understand that I will have to make the first move and appeal to your vanity. So, I'll start by telling you how pretty you looked today. Seriously, that fresh snow really becomes you and it was the good kind, that you can make snowballs with. You also did a great job of evening out your temperature. It was in the upper twenties all day and you controlled your wind. (I don't want to make you feel bad, but you had a little problem with that the last few weeks)

Mostly, I just wanted to thank you for giving me such a great day. I even stepped out of my lair for a couple hours and took photographs and went running. When I got home, after all that exercise, I was still appreciating you because it felt so right and seasonal to take a hot bubble bath and then get out and drink tea while wearing my gigantic, very warm, hideously ugly, lounge clothes.

I hope you accept my apology and we are able to live happily and without incident for the next couple of months. Oh, and if you had anything to do with The Bears winning today, then my daughter thanks you too.

Love,

Churlita

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, may our co-existence over the remaining time you have with us this year be a peaceful.

rel said...

Churlita,
I'm happy to hear that wiley winter was kind to you. She's put the big Chill on here, so it was nordic trac all weekend. But even with her turning the cold shoulder, she was beautiful to look at.
She's as fickle as a cat and that's what I love about her. I think you've taken the right tack in embracing her. Remember though, she may snap at you yet still. ;-)
rel

Margaret said...

i'm sure winter will beon better behavior now

Churlita said...

Bice,

Amen to that. I'll have to talk with spring this year too, just to make sure we have an understanding about tornadoes.

Rel,

We had that cold last week. Sorry it got sent your way. She certainly isn't boring, is she?

Margaret,

I hope so, but if there's one thing I've learned about teenage girls, it's that they can go off at any time.

booda baby said...

I wish you'd used different tags: conciliation, diplomacy, paving the way to world peace.

Different tags and someone in the current administration would've been able to find you and hire you as consultant. It's one thing to be able to SAY 'coalition' - creating one's something else. You excel. Your letters of reconciliation (or maybe we can drop the 're'), negotiating terms that make everyone happy could have their own little case in the Smithsonian.

Yep. That's what I think.

EEK said...

That was really funny. I never knew what a bitch winter could be until I moved north.

Yea bears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fringes said...

Congrats to your Bears! We are looking for a Super Bowl par-tay!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I do this with my car ("Thank you for starting today, honey. I know it's cold out and you're tired and pissed that I parked you sort of half on the curb and then just left you like that all night, so I really appreciate your starting this morning."), but I've never thought of using this strategy on the weather. Brilliant.

Churlita said...

Booda Baby,

maybe we should just treat our current president like he was a teenage girl and see if things get any better. He seems to be at that level.

Eek,

I know. When I was a kid, I always thought it would be great to live somewhere where it snowed. I just didn't realize that it hurt to be cold. Yea, Bears! For sure. Are things crazy in Chicago right now?

Fringes,

My daughter was going absolutely crazy yesterday. It was fun/scary to watch her.

Cover Your Mouth,

A few years ago when I still had a 1981 toyota Celica, I would try not to even think bad thoughts about it, in case it could read my mind and punish me for them.

Michael said...

I finally made it back to your blog very circuitously- kind of annoying but antway, so much to catch up on!

Your first pic on this post reminds me a lot of Frostburg- and makes me want to say that we are all so similar (and come from such similar situations) despite how hard we try.

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures so much!

Churlita said...

Laurie,

Thanks. I love your blog too. I'd seen it all over the place in other people's links, but I don't get the whole knitting thing - it's just because I can't pay attention for very long. But then when I read it, it's so much more than knitting. It's cats and funny and photos. I hope you don't mind, but I'm linking you.