Tuesday, December 23, 2014

She Opened a Book and a Box of Tools

Archie eyeing the scary ornament Coadster made in kindergarten. My favorite.

On Sunday, I was still worried about making my cold worse, so I didn't do the two work-outs I had planned. Instead I read about half of my book, The Daughters of Mars, by Thomas Keneally. It's about two Australian sisters who are nurses during WWI. So far, I think it's wonderful. I am always curious to see how women write male characters and how men write female characters. Sometimes, I'll read a male character, written by a woman, and think, "Hmmm. I don't know of any guy who would say or think something like that, or I'll read a female character and think, "Wow. The guy who wrote this must never have met a woman before...And maybe never have even seen one." But these women characters seem very believable and even talk about their periods, which some women authors never even bring up. Anyway, it is amazing escapism and very interesting reading.

Stinky watching Jurassic Park after finishing the Christmas tree.

Since I had the extra time and energy, I spent the rest of the day cleaning. I took apart the living room, cleaned the bedroom, vacuumed and dusted the dormer room, and John helped by cleaning the kitchen and the laundry room. We have a very large, country style kitchen and within it, we each have our own mess table. John's is a mess of mostly bike parts and tools and my table is a mess of papers. We each cleaned our own. I have to say, it is much easier and faster cleaning our house, now that we got rid of so much of our stuff and then tried to organize the rest.

I also made veggie refried beans, fried up some tostada shells and made a couple different kinds of veggie enchiladas. We've been set for food for the last couple of dayss.

We finished the evening with a visit from Stinky, to help me decorate the tree. We also watched the first Jurassic Park movie while we decorated. I don't think I have seen it since the early 90's. It was still a lot of fun.

I'm hoping that I am well enough to start working-out again in the next day or tow or our house will be so clean, it won't feel comfortable.

No comments: