Monday, December 15, 2014

It's Lovely Weather for a Bike Ride Together With You


Well, the crawl space is done, for the most part. The guys didn't get finished until almost 8 o'clock on Friday. We decided we probably should wait until the next day to reattach the ducts for the furnace. It was unseasonable warm, so that made our decision to go another night without heat much easier.


The next morning we checked out their handiwork and it all looked great. They said it should be dry enough down there that we could even store stuff, if we wanted to. What a huge difference.


The next morning, we quickly set about cleaning the old ducts that we assume haven't been touched since the house was built around 1950, or so. Of course, we had to take them all apart to make them fit through the entrance. Then, we had to get them in the right spot, put them all back together and rehang them. Nothing ever fits the way it's supposed to, so it took us most of the day to get this done. Our friend Seaghan helped and John did most of the work. I helped as long as I could, but I had a bad migraine and it got to the point where I had to go throw up, take my meds and pass-out for a couple of hours.

By Saturday evening, my headache was gone and we had our heat back on. Hooray for John!


We had a few parties we got invited to, but we basically had to bail on all of them. Instead, I made tempeh reubens and heated up potato soup and we watched the end of a movie. It was about all I was up for anyway.


On Sunday, we vowed not to enter the crawl space at all. The weather was amazing for Iowa in December and we rode our road bikes the 50 miles to Kalona and back.

The last few times, we've ridden with friends of ours who don't ride as much as we do, so we slowed down a lot and the rides were much easier. This time, it was just John and I. The headwinds were strong going out, and then coming back, we went really hard for me. it was good to get my heartrate up and to feel sore today.

The roads were very wet, so I was covered with mud freckles by the time we got to Kalona. On the way home, we saw two deer running like crazy across a field to cross the road in front of us. It's shotgun season here, so the deer are pretty worked up. Behind the two deer, another one was coming a ways back, and a motorcycle was heading toward us on the other side of the road. I was so afraid he wouldn't see the last deer, but he slowed down, and my heart came back down my throat and into my chest again. Anyway, this was the latest in December we've been able to do a road ride in a few years, and it was sooooo nice.

2 comments:

A said...

that is the most amazing crawl space I have ever seen! no joke

Churlita said...

Thanks, A. It's kind of weird to get so excited about a crawl space, but with the money we put into it, it's hard not to. I will email you soon to see about your Christmas plans and your first week in January plans when we'll be in Austin.