Monday, December 29, 2014

Saturday Wait. And Sunday Always Comes Too Late.


So, Christmas weekend wasn't quite as relaxing as I had hoped, but it was WAY more relaxing than it used to be. On Christmas Eve, I got off work and Coadster and I furiously ran to a few stores before they all closed. We had Happy Joe's taco pizza (Coadster's favorite) and watched girl movies before she went to church with her dad and I read my book until I fell asleep. Also, grandpuppy was there and oh, so cute. The cats spent the evening hiding in our bedroom, trying to escape from said grandpuppy.


We had to wait for Stinky and her boyfriend to show up on Christmas morning, so I treated myself to a nice, slow, meditative run past some cool sculptures in Iowa City. It was a perfect way to start the day.
 


We opened gifts and then did our usual Christmas sushi for lunch. It is a lovely tradition, let me tell you. Stinky and her boyfriend had to go to his family Christmas after lunch, but Coadster came home with me.


We took Bailey on a nice long walk to calm her down...As much as possible. We walked past this crazy Christmas house down the street from us.


Bailey wanted to make friends with every dog she met, but not all the other dogs were quite so into that. We came home, and then Coadster had to meet her sister and dad to see a movie for his birthday, and I got to lie around and read my book for a couple of hours before I started dinner. The kids came home to chocolate chip and sugar cookies still warm out of the oven. Dessert first! We all ate dinner and then watched the movie, Chef. It was pretty damn close to being a perfect day.


On Friday,  Coadster left for a bit to hang with her boyfriend's family. I ran my 6 mile route for the first time in months. Yea! Then Stinky and her boyfriend and I all went to Ride for lunch. I got the portobello mushroom sandwich and it was very nice. The kids headed to the mall and I went to the grocery store to get stuff for dinner. I cleaned the house a little and then headed to the big, scary mall myself. We watched the Hobbit movie. It was long, but very entertaining.  We went home and my friend, Brit came by to eat arroz con pollo with us and play Cards Against Humanity - so wrong, but also, so right...Okay, it's only so wrong.


John got home from Virginia on Saturday. Hooray! We haven't spent a lot of time apart from each other in the last 4.5 years, so it was kind of weird without him around. It just made me even more aware of  how lucky I am to have a life partner who I love hanging out with and share so many of the same interests with, that I miss him even when he's only gone for a few days.


Saturday morning started out really well. Coadster and I went to see a morning showing of Tim Burton's film, Big Eyes. I highly recommend it. Amy Adams was amazing. I went running, while Coadster went to the mall with her dad. By the time I got home, ate lunch and showered, John was home. His girl cat was almost as happy as I was to see him.

Coadster got home shortly after and we decided to stop at Backpocket Brewery for a beer and some cheese bread. We went back home and played a quick game of Cards Against humanity with John. He had never played it before and was curious as to how it all worked. Coady had to get back to Des Moines, so we said our goodbyes and John and I watched The Dead Poets Society. Robin Williams was so incredible. Sigh.


On Sunday I woke up with a migraine. Poop. I took my meds, but they never worked all the way and they made me all shaky and dizzy the rest of the day. I decided not to run, but John and I did take our bikes to the new mountain bike trails in Coralville. I think I will love riding those trails when I'm not pumped up with migraine meds.


We ended our long weekend with a party given by one of the bike shop owners in town. It was at Atlas and was crawling with bike racers. We didn't stay long, but it was nice to talk to people I hadn't seen in a while and also fun to take a photo of us when we were kind of dolled-up and not covered in mud and sweat and sporting helmet hair. It may not happen again for a while...

No comments: