Monday, March 21, 2011

Back On the Chain Gang

Here is me holding my achin' butt after the first part of the ride.

The only bad thing about wonderful weekends, is that they have to end. Although, they are fun while they last and we always have the memories...

This weekend was lovely. On Friday night The Guy and I ate fish tacos and drank our white russians and watched The Big Lebowsky. it was some good, dorky fun.

This what was got once we reached Oxford. Yum.

We woke up fairly early on Saturday. Stinky worked at 7. The Guy and I had a nice breakfast of eggs with sauteed shitake mushrooms, red onions, green pepper, garlic and swiss cheese. I served it with wheat toast and cut-up bananas with raspberry preserves drizzled on them. After we ate, we worked on changing out a few of the storm windows for screens. Of course, that meant cleaning screens and washing windows, but it's kind of nice to be able to see out of them now.

We then loaded up the car and headed to The Guy's storage space to get his tandem bike. We rode to Oxford and it was an interesting experience riding that far on the tandem. I had to learn to pay attention to starts and stops and pedaling at the same pace. I think it went pretty well. We ate at Augusta restaurant. It was started by a couple displaced after Katrina and it had a good mix of food. I had the shrimp po'boy sandwich, that I thought was a tad dry, but tasty none the less. The Guy had a catfish reuben, and I thought that was excellent. We also split some lobster bisque that was very nice.

We hopped back on the bike and headed home. It was a long ride for my first time out this year, but it felt great. The guy and I had our jammies on by 7 and watched The Crazies. We thought it was going to be the newer one, but it was the George Romero original from 1973. It was actually, a happy accident. I was glad we saw it.

The Guy getting ready to cross the street to the restaurant.

On Sunday we got up and got a few more things done. I bought bagels that we ate with cream cheese and smoked trout. Stinky went to church and then to a volley ball tournament. I cleaned the hell out of the bathroom, while The Guy worked on some other projects.

At around noon, The Guy met his ex for lunch and Stinky and I hung out and got groceries together. I dropped Stinky off at home and she went running and I met The Guy at the pool for a swim and a steam.

In the evening, G. came over and ate tostadas with us and told us about her weekend. All in all, a great Sunday evening.

One of the many positive influences The Guy has had on us, is waking up earlier in the morning. This morning, Stinky and I and The Guy actually sat down and ate breakfast together. I know it sounds weird, but Stinky and I almost never do that on a week day. It was so pleasant, I'm thinking we might actually have to make a habit of it.


laura b. said...

What a great weekend! I'm glad to hear The Guy has been a good influence ;-) My family has never been big on breakfast during the week, but it sounds like a nice idea.

MrManuel said...

Sounds like a busy weekend. Funny how the introduction of someone else into the family dynamic can change some things around the house, but good to see it is for a better. Sounds like a keeper!

Pamela said...

You're so funny. Half of your posts are about the food you ate. I love it though!

rel said...

good food, good friends, good fun and new habits: what a life! :)

Tara said...

I like the shape of those glasses!

I'm glad you and the guy had such a great weekend!