Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Better Stop Dreaming of the Quiet Life

Here is a fish in a tank. It's the only standing water in Iowa that isn't frozen right now.

So, here's what happened. I took a half day off to do my taxes, and got them all done for the most part. Which means I'm awesome, right? Wrong. I couldn't actually e-file because I guess not all the forms are out, and now I have to wait until mid-February to submit them and finally get my refund. Grrrr. At least they're done now, so I don't have it hanging over my head. Which means I can start playing video games again, reading books and am ungrounded to do things besides sit around and so actively NOT do my taxes, but not do anything else either. I'm emerging from a kind of a weird purgatory that those of us who are chronic procrastinators create when we have something to do that sounds too practical and probably involves math. Hopefully, you are not like me and don't have to ground yourself just to get anything done. GAWD!

On the plus side, I gave myself an alone time afternoon, AND I accomplished something. I feel stupid ever complaining about my lack of alone time, because my girls will be gone all too soon and then all my time at home will be spent by myself. But I not only like, but I need to be alone at least once or twice a week. When I get that time, I'm a way better parent and more pleasant person to be around in general. Although, I'm sure with as silly as I was being tonight and with all the goofy dancing around the house that occurred on my part, my daughters would rather I were cranky and shushing them every five minutes while I clumsily tried to work with numbers.

Tomorrow will be a new, less taxing day. No, it won't be seventy-five degrees and sunny, with birds chirping around me as I walk to work, but I'll just have to picture that in my head and try not to slip on the ice. Tra, la, la, la la...

7 comments:

rel said...

Churlita,
Awesome! must be a great feeling to have those taxes done.

We're bracing for a big lake effect storm to start any minute!
rel

NoRegrets said...

Congrats to you! I was all on a roll doing my taxes and then realized I need a few more pieces of info. CRAP! And I need the money to refinance. Oh well.

We had ice here this AM too... slip slidin' away....

booda baby said...

Well, now I just think you're boasting about the tax stuff. It's ALWAYS the extra forms that fuck me up. Always. This year, though, I'm marching into our local office and getting everything they've got on offer in triplicate.

I know that will only confuse things when I actually sit down on April 13, but at least I'll know they're there.

Tara said...

Good for you for getting that tax stuff done! I hope you get a huge refund.

I used to joke with a coworker by looking at the snow and say "It's gonna stop.....NOW!" We'd imagine all the ice and snow melting, the trees blooming and all the woodland creatures coming out of the woods. And then reality would set back in.

DJSassafrass said...

You are so cute! Tra, la, la, la, la...

laura b. said...

Hey, good job on getting those taxes done. Even if you can't file them yet, you're totally prepared to fire them off! Yay!
I definitely need my alone time too, in order to function as a decent human being.

Churlita said...

REl,

It is and it will be even better when I get my refund.

Nor,

It looks like we both have to wait, huh?

Booda Baby,

If I weren't getting money back, I wouldn't do them until April too. The refund is my only incentive for doing them early.

Tara,

Wouldn't it be cool if pretending actually worked, even once?

Dj,

Thanks. I'd probably skip to work too, if I knew I wouldn't die on the ice.

LauraB.,

I always have. I think it's from living in a big family and never getting it. It makes me selfish about it.