Monday, January 19, 2009

I Know Some People Wanna Make a Change

Here is a blue dress receptacle.

So, uh. Yeah. I've been a little absent from blog world this weekend. I was trying really, really hard to get some shit done in the real world, so blogging was thrown to the side for the most part. Did I get a lot done? Yes, I did. Did I finish my taxes? Um, no. But I've got it all set-up, so hopefully tomorrow will be tax day.

What I did notice after Saturday, is how much of a time suck kids can be. I know, I know. I've been a parent since I was 26 years old and I'm just figuring that out now? No, I've been very aware of it, but this weekend just brought it to my attention all over again.

Remember how on Saturday I told you that I had the day to myself? Yeah, well I got all kinds of shit done. Then on Sunday the girls were both home and they were all needy and wanted to hang out with me, and I figured, what the hell. So, we went to the mall and made fun of all the 70's clothes and ate food and then all got groceries together, and then when we made it home, it was late and almost time to watch the Steelers make it to the Superbowl. Guess what kind of practical things got done on Sunday? Not a whole hell of a lot. Guess how concerned I am that I didn't clean and sort a room or finish my taxes? Not at all. It's what I signed up for. In four years, when both the girls are gone and I'm living on the Riviera with a young stud named Bruno and I look back on this three day weekend, I doubt I'll agonize about what didn't get done. I'll probably just sip my Margarita, while Bruno applies sunscreen to my back and try to remember the names of those two girls who I had such a great day with all the way back when I lived where it was cold in the Winter.

No, really. I did get a lot done this weekend. I finally went through and pitched all my old tapes, both video and cassettes that I've had trouble parting with. Okay. I did save Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Anchorman and The Matrix, but everything else got tossed - including my Best of Blondie cassette and an old mix tape titled "Hits Del '95" that a coworker from Great Midwestern made for me 14 years ago. Sigh. If I remember correctly, there was a lot of Pavement, Morphine and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion on that CD.


Here are some chairs that are really stacked.

Though I didn't go out on Saturday night, I did a couple of social things so that I talked to people other than just high schoolers. Since I'm not in a relationship and don't have an adult to speak to around my house, I find it very important to try to socialize with adults especially on long weekends. You know, just so I don't start every sentence out with, "OMG!" or "Totally!" It helps to keep my co-workers from killing me when I get back to the grind.

Anyway, I went to my friend's house where I watch football on Sundays on his 60" screen in HD and it was great, until they kept showing Hines' brutal knee twist about 7,000 times. Then today I went to George's at five to meet some ex-co-workers (again from Great Midwestern days). One is a professor in the Center for the Book here and the other is getting her master's in library science. Oh yeah, and they're both gorgeous. I could sit and talk about books with super hot women all day long, but I had to take Coadster to show choir only an hour and a half into it. Hopefully, we'll find time to meet again another night.

Okay. Tomorrow's Obama's big day. I'm so excited. I certainly don't envy the man, I'm just glad he wanted the job.

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Oh, those poor mixed tapes. But I understand the desire to purge. I'm holding out hope to get some of mine into MP3 format.

Bruno sounds nice...

Minyo said...

I'm still clinging to old cassettes. They are hidden in the basement, though. Proud of you for throwing that stuff out though.

I'm watching the Obama Inauguration today. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

sitting here waiting for him to talk....

I totally pitched my cassettes years ago except a few nostalgic "mix" tapes. On VHS, I kept a few I love because I cant find them on DVD. (and I still have a VCR that works)

Nate said...

Geez, how did you know my middle name was Bruno?

laura b. said...

I can tell how well rounded you are because of your rich inner life and the fact that you kept Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Churlita said...

Pamela,

Good for you. Most of mine were disintegrating anyway. It was still hard to get rid of them.

Bruno will be very nice when I meet him in the future. I'm sure of it.

Minyo,

I wish I could have watched it. We just can't do that at work.

Movin',

My VCR still works too. I just forget I have tapes. I do seem to watch Fast Times at least once a year.

Nate,

You only go by that when you're in the Riviera though, right?

LauraB.,

You can tell a lot about a person by their Fast Times obsession. It's true.