Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love

Ah, love. Whatever. By the time most of you read this, it will be Valentine's Day. In the comment section of one of the blogs I read obsessively, (Citizen of the Month?) someone renamed this holiday, "Singles Appreciation Day", and I'm all for that.

I don't get all weird about Valentine's Day. I don't feel like I'm missing out, or particularly lonely, or any more bitter than I normally am. (and have been since I was in junior high) It's just one of those holidays like Father's Day, Flag Day, or Gay Pride Week that really don't apply to me. I'm all for people celebrating as many holidays as they possibly can, but in the past, Valentine's Day has been just another day when all of the women in my office decide to wear novelty sweaters. (believe me, this happens on many different days at my job)

"Singles Appreciation Day" is a holiday I could totally get behind. It would be a day where you revel in all of those weird things you do in the privacy of your own home, that you might not be comfortable doing if you had a boyfriend or girlfriend hanging around - of course, masturbation would be optional. You know, like you could slip into your biggest, holiest sweats, eat popcorn and ice cream for dinner, obsessively watch YouTube, read blogs, Google all your past sexual partners, (not because you're still into them, but just because you're nosy) or watch movie trailer after movie trailer on the Apple website. The possiblities are endless. Of course, for those of you who aren't quite so nerdy and weird, you could probably actually leave your house... Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Those of you who aren't quite so nerdy and weird, are probably in relationships and don't need to create your own special holidays.

12 comments:

Paula D. said...

Great post!

Margaret said...

Single's Appreciation Day! I love it... as long as there are no novelty sweaters, those freak me out

Brando said...

LOL, that last paragraph is terrific.

What's funny are the people who are very obsessive about Valentine's Day. Some people take it way too seriously.

no said...

It's like looking in mirror with you Churls!

Churlita said...

Paula D.

Thanks.

Margaret,

The closet thing I get to a novelty sweater is a gigantic thermal shirt with a hole in the armpit that was left to me by one of my ex-boyfriends. So, novelty sweaters are definitely out.

Brando,

Thanks. If I were in a relationship, I might think it was fun to celebrate VD. (or not)Since I'm not, I stay away from any kind of pressure to feel bad about being single.

ILYITF,

Except when you look in the mirror and see me, you probably run away screaming. And when I look in the mirror and see your reflection, I say, "Damn! I had no idea I was so hotttt."

booda baby said...

Shit, I can't think of anyone who needs to create their own special days more than people in a relationship. Yet another post that I wish young girls would read and wrap their heads around, particularly deciding what loneliness is.

I wonder what kind of novelty sweater that holiday would look like.

fringes said...

Hey, I'm not blocked from your comments!

Everyone here today is wearing red. Lots of novelty sweaters. I took advantage and wore my red velour track pants, white sweater and my running shoes. Hey, they said wear red, they didn't specify red what.

Happy Gay Pride Day, I mean, Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Valentines is really only good because its about the last holiday they let kids in school celebrate - it ain't about couples and love--- its about cheap paper valentines attached to lots and lots of CANDY! (and it gives all the elementary teachers a chance to get their novelty sweater groove on)
I'm with you valentines day and super bowl day etc.. (other superflous holidays ((yes my spelling sucks)) unless I'm in a grocery store and notice all the hype I hardly know its a holiday (apres young children of course)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great holiday. Valentine's Day is a pretty silly holiday, and the world would be better if we learned to love ourselves more.

Churlita said...

Booda Baby,

You're right. I know I needed more holidays when I was in a relationship. So, is your answer - "Everyday is Single Persons Day"?

Fringes,

I'm so glad you're not blocked. I love your comments. I also love how you worked the "Valentine's dress" to your advantage.

AKelly,

I'd get more excited if this holiday had a bigger emphasis on candy. The candy part doesn't bother me at all.

Neil,

I'm kind of partial to a holiday just for me and my kind. How's your hotline going? It sounds like so much fun. I wish I could participate.

rel said...

Churlita,
To me heart day is a hallmark holiday that couples are pressured into conforming with...or else. Being single can have it's advantages.
rel

Churlita said...

Rel,

Don't I know it. I like hanging out by myself. It would be a challenge to get used to dating if that ever happens for me again.