Friday, February 13, 2015

When I Think About Me, I Touch Myself

My mom with my oldest sister and a cocktail. I like her style.
As I said yesterday, tomorrow would have been my mom's 83rd birthday. This year will mark 40 years since she died. I will never stop missing her. I obviously didn't inherit her sense of style, although, I did get her chin. I also got so much more from her. She taught me to make things and not to worry about whether anyone else liked them or  not, she taught me to be myself no matter what anyone else thought, she also told me to love...Starting with myself. So, after she died and we had to live with our horribly abusive aunt and uncle, I certainly didn't come out of that unscathed, but I still had a strong sense of self and I loved myself enough to spend several years working on my many issues to be a better, happier, more confidant person. Some days are better than others with that...But every day is better than it was when I was in my twenties and early thirties.

This year, John and I don't really have anything planned for Valentine's Day. I love John to death, but he isn't much of a romantic, and I'm okay with that. I'd rather be with a guy who treats me well all year long than one who tries to make up for all their transgressions all year with one day of attention. No matter what we do, I plan to celebrate by doing things I love - running, riding the bike trainer, swimming, cooking amazing food, reading a really good book, working on a  house project, starting a drawing for my next painting, watching a movie with my sexy boyfriend....The possibilities are endless.

No comments: