Sunday, February 22, 2015

Gotta Photograph. Picture of.


I've always told my girls that in order to be happy in life you need to be open and honest with yourself and everyone else about who you are, you need to move, to make stuff and read/educate yourself. I try to do all of that as much as possible, as often as possible. Of course, if I had another 12 hours in every day, I'd actually be able to fit it all in.
 

I write a lot about how and in which ways I move, what I'm reading and I cover who I am and what my issues are on this blog a lot, so I thought I'd take a post to show you what I'm making these days.

Probably about 15 years or so ago, I took some black and white photos of my girls in the Bloomington Street Laundromat. Coadster thought it was the dumbest thing in the world, and her attitude in the photos was perfect for the subject matter. I have been meaning to paint that top picture ever since and I'm finally getting around to it. The dryers in the photo were nice 70's shades of orange and harvest gold and the paint above them was that institutional green color that almost every school I went to  as a kid was painted. So, I did the background last week and I'm planning on doing a cartoon'ish drawing of Coadster on a beautiful piece of Japanese paper that I will then affix to the first dryer in this painting. I'll post the result whenever I get that done. Hopefully, it won't take another 15 years before I get around to it...


The other thing I like to make is food. Lot's and lot's of really good food. Last week, I made honey sriracha brussel sprouts and butternut squash, potato and cheddar cheese soup. It was delicious AND nutritious. I would love to paint and draw more and I would love to buy a kiln and learn how to do ceramics, but once again, I only have 24 hours in a day and I work 8 of those and I work-out at least an hour or so a day, and then I suppose I need to sleep at some point too. Maybe my next lifetime?

1 comment:

NoRegrets said...

Yep, too many things to do in this life. But that's not a bad problem to have. Win the lottery!