Tuesday, May 01, 2018

And the Moon Rose Over an Open Field.


Oh, lovely days, but this weekend was perfect! It's been so nice and warm, but not too hot, yet. Since we're finally getting the Spring we've been waiting for, and John and I hadn't really been able to spend much time together, we made a date to meet out on the back porch for a beer on Friday after work. It was so nice to sit outside and actually get to talk to each other. Of course, it would have been better if it had just been the two of us. You can tell the cats that four is a crowd all you want to, but they really don't care.


Saturday was nice too. I woke up and went running. It was a bit windy and cooler than Friday, but compared to how it had been, it felt pretty damn good.


After the run, John and I got our bikes and things together and drove to Sutliff Bridge area. We're putting on a monthly race out there and John wanted us to measure out ten miles on our bikes. Boy, am I STILL out of shape. The course is hilly and windy and I think it will be great once I'm in better shape, but trying to ride it any speed on Saturday was just a pipe dream I was smoking.


After the ride, we drove to Stone City to the General Store Pub for lunch. We're trying to get a fun bike camping weekend put together for the weekend before RAGBRAI and we wanted to check out a few things.

I love the General Store Pub. It's so cool and they have okay food and drink, but the atmosphere is the best. It was so busy, though, so we weren't able to ask about different services we might get when we camped. At one point, someone told me that you could rent tubes and the people you rented them from would take you up the river and drop you off so that you could float down back to the General Store. we still haven't found anything to back that up, but we'll just keep trying.


One of the things I love about Iowa is that we all kinds of weird little communities that people from other states don't know much about. Stone City used to house an artist colony with Grant Wood being one of the residents. Many of his paintings use the beautiful scenery around there as a back drop.


The rest of the afternoon and evening were spent puttering around the house, then making and eating dinner. John went to bed really early since he had a race to ride the next day. Which worked out fine for me. I went up to my little reading room with some herbal tea and got lost in "Pride and Prejudice". I have to say, it was one of the best Saturday nights I've passed in a while.

No comments: