Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Summer Skies and Lullabies


I know I suck at blogging this week. I took Monday off as a vacation day and I've been catching up ever since, here at work.

This will be mostly a photo post, so that I actually DO post.

Saturday was a really fantastic day. The weather was incredible and there were many places for me to buy plants for my garden...And THEN we went a really long bike ride.

I couldn't sleep, so I woke up around 6 am, ate some toast, drank some tea and headed to the Farmer's Market around 7:30. I found some good herb and pepper plants, then I hurried back home so I could pick up Stinky and her fiance and head to some more plant sales. Stinky's fiance wasn't quite so into the plants as he was into the food and I totally get that.


After spending too much money, but excited about my kick-ass garden, I sped home again to make lunch and then ride bikes to Cedar Rapids and back.


I met a weird looking friend along the way, but most importantly, check out my new cyan colored bar tape that John just put on my bike. Pretty.


 I love the ride to Cedar Rapids. It's amazing how bike friendly that town has become. There were literally hundreds of people riding around and stopping at all the restaurants, bars and coffee shops.


We met another man wearing a utility skirt while we waited for the light to change. He was telling us about his bikes and that he used to live in Cedar Rapids, but was just back visiting and didn't have his bike to ride. You definitely meet all kinds of people when you aren't encased in a car.


We made it to the Sag Wagon for a late lunch. There were many, many people there playing Corn Hole, sand volleyball and basking in the sun. Since it was Cinco de Mayo, they had cans of Corona for $2.50. I wasn't planning on drinking, but it was hot and who am I to pass on such a good deal?


Our friend John is always amusing. I found him lying on the ground doing some kind of exercises? When I decided to photograph him, he said, "I'm not doing anything that would require a photograph." Um, okay...


We finally got it in gear and headed back to Iowa City, but not before we saw some baby geese. I love them so much!

The only drag about the day, was that we all forgot that we hadn't been riding as much as we usually do by this time of year, and that 70 mile ride really kicked our asses. It was a good thing for me to see where I was as far as my physical shape was concerned. I'm not at all where I want to be, but I was a little stronger than I thought I'd be. I guess I'll keep training the way I have been and hope for the best.

No comments: