Monday, May 21, 2018

Bicycle Races Are Coming Your Way, So Forget All Your Duties, Oh Yeah


So...Lookee here. I actually have a race report! It's my first one of the year and the first one on my new team.

We had the first installment of our Time Trail series last Wednesday. The weather was absolutely perfect, but I'm STILL not in the best of shape.


Since I had only been on my TT bike once so far this year, I stupidly decided to do a 25 mile TT ride two days before my race. It felt pretty good while I was doing it, but it wrecked my legs for the race.


I had a lot of things slowing me down for this. The main thing is that this race is very hilly, and I suck at hills. Riding up hills better is one of the big things I'm trying to work on this year. The other thing I need to work at, is going faster on the turn around. Since I'm so overly cautious, I inevitably put a foot down and kick-off, which, apparently is slow and all the cool kids make fun of you when they catch you doing that.


So, needless to say, this wasn't the best race in my life, but I did learn a lot. I got good at learning how to shift gears up those hills, and I learned not to do a hard work-out two days before my race. I still haven't learned not to dab a foot on the turn around, but I can keep working on that.

The best thing, is that since I started out that slow, I only have one way to go, right? I hope so. Wait. The best things about the race were that we had a good turn out, the cars that passed me where very respectful and I had a blast during the race and afterward, at dinner, it was great to catch up with a lot of the racers I hadn't seen in a while.


No comments: