Thursday, March 29, 2018

You Can Count Your Blessings, I'll Count on Blue


The other thing we did last weekend, was work on painting our kitchen. With the "help" of our fat orange cat. Archie was upset that we were looking at the walls instead of him, and at one point he got up on the cupboard of love and tried to swat the paint brush (since it must have been clear to him that I was playing?). I tried to grab him and wipe the paint off his paw so he wouldn't lick all of those chemicals, but he wriggled away and almost fell off his perch. Needless to say, by Sunday, Archie was banished to the laundry room and the paint went much faster.

Now I will show you photos of vaguely similar paint colors on our kitchen walls. Party!


We have many bad patches on the walls, just like we did on the ceiling. In the process of filling them and sanding before we paint, we have gotten so much better. Now you can barely tell any difference from the patched and non-patched parts.


We went with a warmer "Tidewater" shade of blue, as opposed to the older, colder "Swimming pool" color. Our kitchen is in the Northwest corner of our house, so it needed to be warmed up.

When I first painted the kitchen back in 2009, I had very little money and I had no idea what the hell I was doing and that it mattered to spend more money on better paint. Oops! So, I learned my lesson and we have a little more money, and we get a University discount at Sherwin Williams and what a HUGE difference good spackle and paint make on the walls.


It seems like any time we spend a shit-ton of time on a house project, I want to congratulate us and get all excited, but then I look around and realize we haven't really made much of a dent. Hopefully, in the next month, we'll finish painting the walls, then paint all the trim, also take care of and paint the metal covers to the exhaust and grates, then replace the subfloor and retile the floor and then get a new refrigerator, since our old, leaking, fridge is the reason we have to replace some of our subfloor and then our kitchen will be mostly done...So, then we can start on the bathroom.

Oh, well. When I see these new houses around Iowa City that look the same and have the same color scheme and carpet and design and I look at our 1950's house that is crammed full of interesting potential, as far as I'm concerned, it's all worth it...Most days.











No comments: