Tuesday, March 06, 2018

What a Drag it is Getting Old


So, like I said last week, I've been going through all of these "older people" issues lately. I know it's all part of the process and I also know the alternative. I am very lucky to get to 52 years old.

It just gets me thinking sometimes. I have a lot more wrinkles and scars and my hair is thinning, and it will never, ever look like it did in the photo above (which might be a good thing...), I can't see or hear very well and I'll never be as strong or as fast as I was in my early forties even. I'm sure if I spent a lot of time dwelling on it all, it could get me down. Instead, I've been working on writing about when I was 19 years old. Seriously, if you EVER want to feel better about getting older, try very hard to remember what it felt like to be 19. What kind of scenarios did you create in your head to stress about? How did you feel about yourself? How much crap did you put up with from other people? What was important to you? You may have been a better, more put together person than I was back then (and who wasn't?), but if you were even close to the kind of messed up I was in 1984, you would be singing the praises of your older person emotions and brain, no matter how rusty, or padded the body was that encased them.

No comments: