Friday, March 16, 2018

Kid, You Better Look Around, How Long Do You Think That You Can Run That Body Down?



Well, kids. I finally threw in the towel. I tried really hard to train for the Hawkeye 25K, but I was thwarted on so many levels. I was sick for almost the entire month of January and then much of February was overflowing with icy sidewalks and then my perimenopausal muscles were so tight, it hurt to walk sometimes, let alone run.

So, I'm pulling the trigger. I'm a little sad about it, but I really don't want to get injured and I think I would make that happen if I tried to run the kind of miles I need to train for the race, and I don't have time for a gradual build-up.

I came to my decision yesterday. Last Saturday I ran 9 miles. It was a nice, flat route from my house to Sand Lake, around it and then back home. I actually felt pretty good through most of it, but I was an idiot. I brought water, but no nourishment. I started to bonk (feel the effects of my lack of food) at around mile 7. I slowed way down and pushed myself to finish the last two miles. My metatarsalgia (a condition that causes the ball of my foot to become inflamed (read:  feel stabby knives under the ball and toes)), was also getting the best of me. I'm happy to say, I ran the whole thing and whatever about it that didn't kill me, made me stranger (who knew that was possible?).



On Sunday I was out of commission. Remember how I used to get migraines once or twice a week for most of my adult life? Yeah, well I think I've taken migraine meds twice this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that my migraines have been few and far between the last few months, but on Sunday, I was all drained and dizzy and my stomach was bugging me and my teeth hurt, and it took me about half a day to realize I was a little migrainey. it wasn't bad enough to take meds for, but it did mean, I didn't do one damn things on Sunday, except go to Kalona for a late lunch/early dinner with John and some friends. It also meant I didn't run or ride. I guess I needed a break.

I didn't run again until Wednesday. I was able to get a vacation day then. It was supposed to be in the upper 50's, so it was perfect. I did a 10 mile run. This time, I was smart enough to bring some water, watered down cranberry juice and some peanut butter M & M's. It turned out to be a perfect fueling combination.

I was able to run the full ten miles, it was beautiful, I didn't bonk, but by the last mile and a half, I was dying anyway. My feet hurt and it was very apparent that I was pushing myself to do too many miles too soon.

I tried to run an easy 3.5 mile route last night after work, but my muscles were too tight. Last night I finally called it. I won't be in good enough shape not to hurt myself either before or after the race. I'm sad, because I love that race, but I'm also relieved that the stress is gone. I'm still planning on running six miles tomorrow, but I was going to try and run twelve, and I'm happy not to have that self-imposed pressure on me.

Now, I'm looking forward to running a little less and riding my bike a little more. The balance seems to work for me, now that I'm 52 years old and all.

No comments: