Thursday, March 08, 2018

Cool Down. Stop Acting Crazy. They're Gonna Leave and We'll be on Our Own.


I went to my first breast ultrasound on Tuesday. it was waaaay better than a mammogram, but it was still a little uncomfortable and the lotion they put on me was ice cold. I was pretty worried with this test, since it's supposed to be able to see so much more than even a mammogram and the last time they found the tumor, it was very small. After the procedure, the tech told me that they might see things they couldn't see before and want me to come back in to check things out later. Yikes!

Since the clinic I went to was right next to a Trader Joe's, I stopped by there and bought myself some flowers and contemplated buying some Ben and and Jerry's and sitting around watching House Hunters, just to chill out and de-stress. By the time I got home, however, I talked myself into just going for a run instead. Good on me!

I know I've told you that I've been having a problem of tightness in my muscles, so that when I run a lot of times, I have to run and then walk and run and then walk, sometimes throughout the entire run because of this. So, on Tuesday while I was running to relieve stress, I got to Rochester Street and my muscles were starting to tighten up again. I stopped to walk. Right then, a man who must have been running behind me, stopped and asked, "How far are your running?"

"Five miles," I said.

"How far have you gone?"

"Um, like, two?"

"Well, Come on. Let's go." And he signaled for me to start running with him.

"No. I have a problem with my muscles where I have to stop and walk sometimes."

"Oh. So, are you training for anything?" he wanted to know.

"No. I'm just running."

He finally left me alone and went on his way, but what the hell? I'm sure he thought he was being helpful and was going to inspire me to keep running. I don't think he was being creepy at all, but just really invasive. When I told John about it, I said I knew that I was weird about wanting to be left alone in general, and John said, "No. That's weird for anyone. I would be annoyed if somebody came over to me and tried to make me run with them, when I didn't even know them, I can't imagine what it would be like to be a woman and have a guy do that."

"I know. And I'm over 50. I'm supposed to be invisible to men in general. It's one of my favorite parts of getting older...", I said.

I did start running again eventually, and lucky for me, that guy kept a nice distance ahead of me. By the time I had about a half mile left of my run, my phone rang. Normally, I don't answer it if I don't know the person calling, but I took a chance. Lucky for me, it was the nurse who scheduled the breast ultrasound. They told me I wouldn't get results for a day or two, but she had them already. She said that everything looked good. They saw something that was probably a cyst, but it was really small, so they would just monitor it. Yea!

I finally made it home and I was exhausted, not just from the physical act of running, but from all that went on during that 50'ish minutes. Maybe next time, I'll just get the Ben and Jerry's and watch some House Hunters instead. It seems like it would be healthier.






No comments: