Tuesday, April 14, 2009

And Though You Want to Last Forever, You Know You Never Will

I took this at the girls' choir concert. My daughters go to one of the gaudiest Catholic churches I've ever seen.

Oh, good lord, kids. We are smack dab in the middle of our busy season here at the Churlish household. As I'm sure I've mentioned a few hundred times on my blog, my parents were artists and it was the seventies and structure was never their strong suit. In turn, organization of time and anything else, has never been my strong suit either. Because of that, I have to work even harder than most people to get my shit together. I have to be careful to do everything in a certain order, or I'll forget to do a lot. It isn't something that comes naturally to me. Also, chaos doesn't really bother me either. So, after all that, sometimes no matter how organized you are, or how much you try to prepare ahead of time, your daughters still might end up eating their chicken fajita tacos in the car going from track practice to their confirmation rehearsal.

Stinky's making her confirmation tomorrow night and not a minute too soon. She foolishly tried to lie to me tonight, and about something totally stupid. I don't get it. I don't know how many times I've told the girls how much I hate to be lied to, but they keep trying it anyway. Unfortunately for them, I've dated some of the biggest and best liars in the free world, and I can smell one a mile away. Plus, my girls can't lie to me. Like tonight when I called Stinky on it, her eyes got even bigger than normal and she started to laugh nervously (which is my favorite uncomfortable habit) and then tried to lie to me anyway. Duh.

Anyway, maybe this religion thing will put the fear of god into her. I like to consider myself a spiritual person, but I don't really believe in organized religion. If you've been reading my blog, we've already covered this on here. I'm just stating it again for those who haven't. My girls go to a Catholic church with their dad. I don't have any problem with it. I think religion is great for people who are into it and find comfort in it. Hey, whatever gets everyone through their lives as healthy and happily as possible, right? I was raised catholic, but my mom encouraged me to question everything, and I did, and now I have WAY too many issues with churches to practice any one of them . There are plenty of things I've taken from Catholicism and many other religions that I've studied. Like my mother, I encourage my daughters to question everything and check out as many other beliefs as possible. You never know what they'll be able to use in their lives.

10 comments:

Ananda girl said...

I agree with you about organized religion and also that it does not hurt the girls to go to church. A little background will give them a base to compare from later.

Is there ever a non-busy season when you're a mom? Take care.

rel said...

Churlita,
I too an a reformed catholic.
The Golden rule works well for me.
rel

DJSassafrass said...

I'm the exact same way---was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran (very close to Catholic) and I even had the pleasure (?) of attending school there. When I questioned things, I was told I was going to hell for not having true faith. B-bye church. I didn't like dressing up on a Sunday morning anyway.

em for mighty said...

yah, i haven't read back posts of your blog yet, so i was caught off-guard by the confirmation plannings. i was raised catholic as well, but fortunately, i was a very oblivious child (something i did not grow out of)& only noticed the jesus love & stained glass windows & actually thought about being a nun (except i wanted to have sex with prince first). once the other stuff clicked--all the nastiness, i became a "born again pagan" haha.
i'll be going to my brother mike's son's confirmation later this month to be there for him since the loss of his dad. strangely, i always look forward to the ceremonial hoop-la the catholic church is so good at.
& i too am a disorganized mama. im the mama that always has to borrow things out of other mama's diaper bags. i like to "wing it."

Tara said...

I was raised to believe that you can believe and worship with or without a church. Our family is Methodist and we used to go to church for holidays. I tried to train myself to go every Sunday when I moved to the city I'm in now, but getting up early to go to church at 9 on a Sunday wore out for me really quick.

booda baby said...

I've got your organization covered, so I expect you to indulge in luxurious chaos. A lot of the stuff they SAY has to get done? Doesn't. I'm reminded of this, having just finished taxes. All the organization and studious attention to detail saved me ... ta da ... maybe a couple of hundred dollars. Worth it? I don't think so.

Makes me want to belong to a church so I can go pray for a new tax structure that doesn't devour independent artists. Rat bastards.

Mnmom said...

Me too. Not a big fan of organized religion but I keep the faith - several of them in fact!

laura b. said...

I wasn't raised going to church and my kids haven't been either. I just try to teach them to be mindful, appreciative, and compassionate human beings. It makes the most sense to me.

Churlita said...

Ananda,

You're right, but the season we're in now is so busy, I'm afraid my head will explode.

Rel,

Exactly. I try to be the best person I can be and appreciate everything I have. If everyone did that, I think we'd all be in a pretty good place.

DJ,

See? I don't want my girls to just be robots for someone else's purposes. Questioning things is good. It's how avoid joining a cult and drinking the special kool-aid.

Mighty Jo,

That's the cool thing. You can take the hoopla and the stained glass and all the parts you like, and bag the rest.

Tara,

That's what I'm talking about. I can be spiritual without going to church on Sunday.

MnMom,

The more faiths and faith, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Laura,

Perfect. It's what I think most religions tried to preach at the beginning, before they brought judgment into it, then all the sudden there were all these bloody wars in the name of god. Not my thing.

movin down the road said...

issues in churches? you wanna hear issues? talk to me...