Wednesday, June 24, 2015

When I'm Ridin' Around the World. And I'm Doin' This and I'm Signing That.


I turn 50 in less than a month. So, in order to celebrate the fact that I made it this far, I thought I'd do a look back every ten years before I reach that magical half century.

I was born on July 16th, 1965. Here are some fun facts about that year:


In pop culture news, this is what happened in July in 1965:

More July - TV for housewives - a show called “ Girl Talk ” with Virginia Graham - each weekday on ABC-TV. The chatter can range from hair curlers to the atomic bomb to sex and perhaps husband changing….Grand Ole Opry star Roy Acuff is seriously injured in a two-car collision near Sparta, Tennessee. Two others were also injured. Acuff suffered broken ribs, pelvis collarbone… Columbia Records releases two versions of a new single by Bob Dylan - “Like A Rolling Stone” to radio stations. On one version - “Like A Rolling Stone” is backed with “Gates of Eden.” Interesting, because each song is about 6 minutes, giving the single 12 minutes of music. So as not to completely frighten top-40 disc jockeys, where the average song is just over two minutes, a special DJ single has been created featuring parts one and two of “Like A Rolling Stone.” The song fades out about midway, flip it over and it continues ...  The Kinks are set for a second U.S tour in October. The Britishers launched a four-week tour June 18 that included 18 cities…


The number one song of my birth week? "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones.
The top box office draw for that week? "The Sound of Music".
The top selling novel was, "The Source", by James Michener.
The Vietnam War was escalating, the space program was taking off and Lyndon B. Johnson was president.

 In my own life, I was born around 11 pm on Friday, July 16th in Chicago, Illinois. My sisters remember my mom leaving for the hospital and that they were sitting on the step of our apartment, because it was so hot that night. I was the youngest of 4 children. My parents were Beatnik Artsy types. Later that year, my mom was hospitalized for the first time with unmanageable high blood pressure, and because my dad was already in Arizona, I stayed with my maternal grand parents until she got better. The following year, we would move to Arizona.  

I like that I was born in a time of HUGE changes.










No comments: