Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Control - I do What's Right For Me

John and I looking very earnest in our conversation.
I know everyone has control issues. Some people expect their days to go a certain way and when they don't unfold the way they want, they freak. Other people want people to do whatever they say, and when they don't, they freak. I know others who have to have their gear and logistics all solid before they go anywhere and if they wake up late, or can't find something, they freak. I don't think I have crazy control issues. I was the youngest, and had bossy older siblings, so I learned at a young age to go with things. John will say that he thinks my biggest control issues come with feeling like I should be in the best shape and not having any physical or mental or emotional limitations. Basically, like many other things, my control issues are more internal than external. I wouldn't disagree with that.

Yesterday was a day that may have driven someone with more external control issues insane, but I like it when things go differently than I plan and I can just go with it. I was originally planning on doing at least an hour long bike trainer work-out when I got home from work, but my sidewalk and driveway were sheets of ice. I went to work on chipping and shoveling and it took me about an hour to finish it. It was actually kind of fun. I got to figure out the best way to break the ice and then shovel it out of the way. John came home and started to help, but I told him I was spending more time than I thought I would shoveling, and had decided not to do a trainer work-out and he should at least go run like he had planned. So, off he went. Pretty brave to run on all that ice, but he didn't fall once.

While he was out running, I ran to the store to get more de-icer, among other things and ran into one of my former neighbors, Bridget. I hadn't seen her in forever, and I figured John would be out running for a while, so I stopped and gave myself the time and we had a nice long talk.

John and I decided to head to Short's to eat and drink. Neither of us were up for cooking and cleaning. It was pretty slow there, and we ended up having a great discussion with the bartender and the wait staff about books and literature and movies that are made from books. I was happy to see that people in their twenties still read books, and not just ones that are assigned for a class.

Tonight my plan is to have a nice relaxing evening at home, but if something else comes up, I'll just go with it again. It worked so well for me last night.


No comments: