Tuesday, April 12, 2016

She Had Wheels On, On Her Feet


Sunday was a recovery day. It was also a very good day. I felt like crap in the morning, not oddly enough. John woke me up early enough to watch much of Paris-Roubaix on-line. He also gave me a shoulder and foot rub while we watched the race. If you ever want to make someone worship you and start a new religion in your honor, give that person who just ran a 25K trail run the day before, a shoulder and foot rub. I am one very lucky girl.

I always feel like a race car driver when I forget to take my helmet off and I'm sitting in the car with it on.

John read this thing that said it is better for you to run an easy, short run the day after a long race, than to not run at all. So, I ran 2 VERY slow miles. It didn't exactly tickle, but it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, either.

I did some reading, some laundry and some leftover heating up for lunch. Then I took the nicest, biggest, fattest nap you can imagine. I was still exhausted from the day before, so it was just what the doctor ordered. It had rained a little on and off, so we weren't sure if the mountain bike trails would be open, but we called and it said they were. It looked like it rained more closer to Solon, than in Iowa City, but the sign on the trails still said they were open. Mountain bike riding is great for me when I'm tired. I can go slowly and and play in the woods and I take it easy and don't ride anything that's the least bit scary to me and just have a good time.

As we rode, the trails seemed pretty good for the most part, but were a little wet in places. We heard someone riding fast behind us, and we got out of the way so they could pass. He was a guy named Ryan who is on another racing team. He stopped and asked if we were feeling weird about riding the trails, even though they were open. He said he thought they were about 80 % good, but 20 % might be a little too muddy. We all agreed that we didn't want to be "those guys" who ride on the trails when they're not supposed to, so we finished up our lap and headed back to the car.

We finished up the last day of the weekend, by listening to the Dire Straits Pandora station while we made enchiladas, black beans, Mexican rice, de gallo salsa and guacamole for dinner and then watched the movie, "Creed". Not a bad day for a girl who could barely walk.


No comments: