Thursday, January 14, 2016

List'ning to Muzak, Thinking 'Bout This 'n' That


Well, I did my first Winter trainer workout of the year today. I set my alarm, stayed in bed and sighed for about 15 minutes and then got up and wandered around looking for the pages of my Arnie Baker workout, filled a couple of water bottles, got the mini speaker for my iPhone ,and then FINALLY remembered to grab a sweat towel (EW!) I did my first workout that took just under an hour. These particular workouts get progressively harder and longer as you get further along your way to the end of the 3 months. Each week you are supposed to do the two work-outs on the page and then ideally you are supposed to do a road ride or two on the weekends (apparently, you aren't supposed to live in Iowa in the Winter). I don't LOVE to work-out indoors on the trainer, but it makes me so much stronger on the bike, and I do love to sweat it out in the morning and listen to music and have some alone time.

I know I'm not telling anyone anything they don't already know, but I'm weird. I like being weird, which is good, because I can't help being that way. When I was on the Culinary Ride, I was talking to an acquaintance who owns a spin studio. She was telling me I should take a class there and I tried to explain to her that it's just not my thing. I'm not a structure person, and I'd usually rather workout by myself (preferably outside). I do ride outside with friends, but generally, it's a fun ride where we aren't trying to go fast. I can ride with John when I'm trying to go harder and work on drafting and jumping when he jumps and that kind of thing, but I'm not a fan of pack riding. I know it's good for me to get used to it, but I don't feel comfortable and I have a hard time focusing when I work out with other people and I can't talk, so I feel rude when people try to chat with me. This woman who owns the spin studio didn't believe that I could work as hard by myself as I could with others in a class. She said she needs motivation from other people and music to go harder.

I don't need other people for motivation. I push myself hard and I listen to music, but I like my own music. Having to listen to Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber or music I just don't like, would really take away from my workout. In other words, I'm an old curmudgeon, set in my ways. I think it's great that people do what motivates them and makes them happy and most people I know are motivated by working out with other people or going to a class, but that's not me. I've always needed my alone time and I have that attention span issue that makes focusing and socializing extremely difficult.

As we enter into the ass end of Winter, I hope everyone finds what motivates them to play and move and have fun.


No comments: