Tuesday, May 05, 2015

...Can't YOu Come Out to Play in Your Empty Garden?

From inside the car at another rainy bike race.

On Sunday, John was going to try to do his first mountain bike race at noon. I got up around 7'ish and was going to take my time trial bike out, but it started raining the minute I stepped out the door. Thwarted! I went back in and sat on the screened-in porch, drinking tea and reading my book. Not a bad alternative.

We headed to Cedar Rapids to the mountain bike race around 10. It was raining a little in Iowa City, but by the time we got to Cedar Rapids, it was storming with crazy close lightning and torrential rains. They can't hold a mountain bike race when it's too muddy. It tears up the trails and hurts the tree roots and it's pretty dangerous for the riders too.

Somebody lost their muddy shoe in the parking lot. It looks like a pretty expensive loss.

By the time we got there and got settled, the rains had stopped. They were going to have a two hour delay to let the trails dry out and then continue the races. John decided he didn't want to waste the whole day waiting around to race, so we headed back home.


Since the clouds headed East, the rest of the day was sunny and warm. I finally got to do my Time Trial bike work-out and then got home, changed and did a 4.5 mile run. I was sufficiently wiped-out after that work-out. So, it did what it was supposed to do.


Later in the afternoon, I finally got the fence put around my garden and the old bike wheels I painted last year up in my garden. Now, all I have to do is get the veggies planted. Hopefully, this week?

No comments: