Thursday, July 05, 2018

Just a Perfect Day. Problems All Left Alone. Weekenders On Our Own.


Everyone has a different idea of their perfect day. Would yours include sleeping in air conditioning all day, or playing with puppies? Would yours include your family, or anyone but your family members?

I had a nearly perfect day on Saturday. It was a little too hot outside to be totally perfect, but I will always "settle" for close to perfect.

It started out, as many of my perfect days do, with a bike ride with our friends.


The prairie flowers looked amazing.


We rode to Riverside, Iowa to get to the Trek Fest Parade and to our friends' annual party.


The Trek Fest parade is always such a hoot. John asked me what the guy with the shower curtain thing over his head was supposed to be. I told him I thought he was supposed to be beaming up.


It was about a hundred degrees out, so I had to really give credit to all of those people in their polyester Star Trek outfits.


There was a float handing out these book marks and cheesy pulp sci-fi novels. I've had a geek virus since I was born and I don't want any treatment for it, thank you.


the Shriners will always pop-a-wheelie for you if you ask them nicely.


After the parade, we hung out at the party and ate their delicious food and stayed away from the keg, as there were some sketchy characters hovering there.


I know I mentioned that it was hot that day, right? Well, we rode home from Riverside and headed straight to Sand Lake. We threw our bikes down, and jumped into the water. It really felt like being ten years old again and what's a better feeling than that?


The water felt great. There were plenty of people at that beach and then John suggested that we check out the beach on the peninsula. Don't mind if we do...


That beach was even better and there was only one other family hanging out there. We all said that if someone would just bring us food and beer, we'd live in the lake and be ever so happy.


Sadly, no one wanted to bring us beer or food, so we had to get up and head to Big Grove in Iowa City and order our own. The only thing better than living like a ten year old, is being able to drink legally as well.



Sunday was a different kind of day. I woke up with a migraine for the first time in 72 days. That's right. It's the longest I've gone without a migraine since my early twenties. I used to get bad migraines at least once a week, so if I have to have a bad migraine day once in 72 days, I consider myself pretty damn lucky.

So, I scrapped my plans to ride bikes and read my book on the porch for a while instead. Which was just fine.


I made eggs with cut up grilled stuffed peppers and cheese and hash browns for brunch.


I started to feel better later in the day. I had so much to do to get ready for the work week. John rode his bike and asked me if I'd meet him at Sand Lake for a swim. Originally, I was all for that, but then I mowed the lawn and that took longer than I thought and I started thinking about all of the things I needed to do before the work week started and I bailed on John. I did make up for it by making enchiladas for dinner and cooking up some beets for us to use for beet salad on the Fourth of July. All in all, it was a good day...Even if it did start with a migraine.

No comments: