Friday, July 06, 2018

I'm a cool Rockin' Daddy in the USA


Wow, kids! July Fourth is over already. This Summer is going WAY too fast. I hope you all had a nice holiday, and if you had to work, I hope you get a nice day off soon.

Surprise, surprise, John and I celebrated the birth of our nation with a bike ride. First I got up and putzed around in the garden, then I read on the screened-in-porch and drank my tea. THEN we went on a bike ride through Amish Country.


We rode up and down many hills with a strong South headwind. Luckily, at some point a big tractor drove in front of us shielding us from the wind. Thanks, farmer!


We finally made it to Frytown, which has a large Amish community. We always stop at this garage place and get an ice cold root beer. It was ridiculously hot on the Fourth this year, so the root beer tasted like pure magic in a can.


We also had to take a photo in front of the phone booth, because how many times a year do you see one of those?


The scenery was so beautiful and in Amish country you don't even see power lines.


We headed to Sharon Center where we just missed their parade. I thought the flag on the tractor was a nice Iowa touch.

We made it to Hills and stopped at the Casey's there to get some cold water. I started feeling like I was going to pass-out from the heat, so I had to sit down on the floor in Casey's until I could cool down a little. I'm a class act, I tell ya.


We finally made it to the lake and not a minute too soon. Some friends of ours met us there with their paddle board. One of my goals this year was to try stand up paddle boarding  and I was finally able to do it. It was a holiday miracle!


Our beach was full of fun families and college kids with cocktails. Everyone seemed so happy and festive and I was happy not to be fainting. It's the little things...


We finally grudgingly left the lake and went to Big Grove so I could drink my one holiday beer. We headed home and I grilled some BBQ chicken, which was heavenly and had it with mashed red potatoes from our garden and beet salad, with mostly things from our garden. I really don't know how we could have celebrated our country and Summer any better.

No comments: