Friday, July 13, 2018

Something Touched Me Deep Inside, the Day the Music Died.



We went to fabulous Clear Lake, Iowa last weekend and it was, fun, fun, fun, and our daddy didn't take the T-Bird away. We went so John could race bikes there. I always used to race too, but this year has been to hormone roller coastery for that, so instead I played and it was just grand.

We drove there after work on Friday and met our friends. We went to the little brewery in a house and sat outside until we got eaten by mosquitoes.


We also got to see the sunset over the lake. One of my favorite things to do in Clear Lake.


I woke up at about 6 the next morning. John had his first race at 8:45, so he got up early and headed over there to warm up.

I went for a lovely morning run, and checked out the lake again and met some lovely King Charles Spaniels and got some dog petting in.


I like to explore a town by running, because I see things I've never noticed before. On this run I found a putt-putt golf course and some wetlands.

After my run I went to the donut shop across the street and got some goodies. John normally won't eat sweets, but I got him a raspberry cream cheese danish, just in case and what do you know, he ate it after he got back from his race.







John decided to take a quick nap, so I rode my bike to the South beach and read my book for a while. It was so perfect.



I got a call from John. he had just woken from (awakened?) from his nap and wanted me to meet him and our other friends for lunch.

After lunch we went back to the beach and swam and watched other people swim and play.


John was supposed to race again at 3:15, so he left to get ready and warm-up before the race and I went on a little bike ride.

We originally thought that the nice road with the fat bike lanes went all the way around the lake, so I figured I'd ride that little route and end up in Downtown Clear Lake in easily enough time to catch John's race. Unfortunately, we were wrong about the road. I ended up out in the country, on the road race course they were going to use on Sunday. Then I found myself in the town of Ventura, next on a bigger highway with very little shoulder and FINALLY back in Clear Lake. At least I got to ride past the Surf Ballroom.


I did make it back in time to see John race and talk to some friends I hadn't seen in a long time and get a great deal on some sale bike clothes, just in time for RAGBAI this month.


It was a great day of racing and John did pretty well for not really racing since the end of May.


After the races, we headed back to that bar/restaurant to get a drink and watch the sunset.



Moscow mules were the perfect choice.


It was a very nice last night in Clear Lake.


The next morning, I got up and headed to the beach to hang out while John did his road race. It was so nice.


Our friends came out and joined me and we sat on the dock with our feet in the water and just relaxed.


John finished his race and joined us. He said it felt pretty good to jump in the water after riding his bike so far.


We were all starving, so we headed to lunch where John and I ate a bunch of appetizers: peel and eat shrimp, crabmeat Rangoon nachos, bruschetta, and fried cheese curds.


Before we headed back  home, I made John stop at the Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and Big Bopper Crash Site.

Do these glasses make my head look small?


It was a little underwhelming, but it was only about a ten mile drive out of town (like John said, they didn't get very far). So, now I can say I saw it.

I'm hoping this weekend is just as fun.

No comments: