Tuesday, July 10, 2018

End of the Spring and Here She Comes Back.


So, before I write about last weekend, I thought I'd do my traveling through books post for June. I read seven books during the month of June. My Summer reads are generally less intense than some of my colder weather reads. During beautiful Summer days, I just don't have the attention span to read Russian novels or whatever. I learned the hard way a few years ago when I tried to read "Wolf Hall" in July and it was a baaaaad idea.

Now I try to pick books that I think will hold my attention and be fun or good escapism. Beach books, if you will. Last June's books were all good Summer choices.

1.) The first book I read in June was "Pachinko" by Min Jin Lee. it was a beautiful, but sad book about how Korean immigrants have been treated in Japan. The characters were complex and sympathetic and the story was epic. All in all, it was an important book trip to take.

2.) My second book trip took me back in time to the story of Orestes and his wacky family. "House of Names", by Colm Toibin was good, but very dark and violent. I took a lot of humanities courses in college, so it was good to get back to some of those stories.

3.) "Girl in Disugise" by Greer McAllister probably isn't going to win any literary awards, but it was good escapism. It's about Kate Warne, the first female Pinkerton detective. It took place before and during the Civil War and it was a perfect Summer read.


4.) "The Association of Small Bombs" by Karan Mahajan took place in India and told the story of a car bomb and the people surrounding it. Those who set it off and those who were killed or injured by it. It was an interesting way to look at an event and it showed all sides of a tragedy.

5.) I finally read Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" last month. It was dark and violent, but it was engrossing and I've always been a sucker for those strong, young, women who stick it to the man.

6.) The Sixth book I read in June was "Less", by Sean Andrew Greer. It won the Pulitzer prize last year and man, do I agree with their choice. It was such a fun read. It was also a great trip. A writer is turning 50 and gets invited to his ex-boyfriend's wedding. He doesn't want to go to the wedding, but he doesn't want to appear bitter or slighted, so he decides be out of town and in order to do that, he takes any trip offered to him to give a reading, or accept an award, or write an article and it ends up taking him all over the world. It is a funny, well written, trip.

7.) The last book I read in June was Louise Erdrich's "The Round House". I love Louise Erdrich's writing and this was one of my favorites of hers. It takes place in the late 80's and it's sad and strong and sweet and frustrating and it was an incredible read.

Since we're almost halfway done with July, I will say my streak of fun, Summer books is continuing. I hope you are all finding fun adventures through the books you're reading as well.

No comments: