Friday, June 29, 2018

Sunday's in the Meadow and Friday's in the Corn.


Oh, kids. In regards to my last post, let me tell you how magical last weekend was for me. First of all, the weather was perfect. Second of all, there were so many people out riding their bikes and playing outside and it makes me so happy to see that.

In the morning, I woke up and headed to the Farmer's Market and got some asparagus and fun treats. Then I came home and puttered around in the garden and then our friend Burne came over and we headed out for a bike ride.

We went to Sutliff Bridge, which is about 50 miles there and back. It was a lovely ride and when we stopped at the bridge we got to check out this 1909 Stanley. The owner said it ran on kerosene and something else. It almost sounded like it had a steam engine. It was pretty damn cool.


We headed back, and stopped at Big Grove in Solon for lunch where I had a beet salad and some Millstream root beer. It was all delicious.


We got home around 5. Just in time to feed the cats. Whew! Our friend Burne found a book on the street right in front of our house. It must have fallen out of someone's bike basket. I was just going to leave it there in case the person came back to look for it, but I was afraid it would get wet sitting outside overnight. So, I took it as a sign that the universe wanted me to read this book and I'm hoping the person how lost it was rich and could just buy another one. It was another thing that made the day magical - a free book.

We were going to head down to the block party downtown and meet Stinky and her friend and some other people, but we both felt too old and tired, so we stayed home and had tuna fish sandwiches and potato salad for lunch and watched the newest Blade Runner movie. It was perfect.


On Sunday, the good just kept right on coming. We had some friends come over and ride out to the town of Hills with us. Ironically, the ride out to Hills is very flat and it's only ten miles out and ten miles back, so it's great for people who haven't been riding much. They stopped in Hills, but John and I kept going to Kalona.

I always say this because it's true, the ride to Kalona is one of my favorites because it's so beautiful and full of horses and other livestock and amazing gardens.


Of course, on this ride, we ran into a young Amish whippersnapper who came flying out of his driveway, in his horse and buggy without looking and almost hit us on our bikes. Causing John to say, "I'd like to see the accident report THAT would have caused..."

The young Amish whippersnapper did make a point to apologize when he passed us up a hill, and we told him it was fine.


We continued on and made it into Kalona.


We ate at Kalona Brweing Company where we shared a pizza and a beet salad and I got my root beer. That made it four days in a row that I got to eat beet salad. I love this time of year.


On the way out of town, I happened to notice this cut-out. As you all know, I love cut-outs, so I made John stop and take a picture of me in one. I will say this again and again. My husband is a damn good sport.


We rode back home through Amish country and saw those boys playing on their swing set. I just love seeing everyone playing outside. Maybe just because it always makes me so happy. For me, the key to being happy in general is to play outside as much as possible, and I'm sure the reason I felt last weekend was so wonderful and magical, was because we did just that. I just hope this weekend goes as well that way.

No comments: