Wednesday, March 09, 2016

So Welcome the Wind and the Wisdom She Offers


Well, it is warm here in Iowa, Kids and that means I am running, riding, and swimming and I am absolutely exhausted, but it's 70 degrees at the beginning of March and that rarely happens.

This week was so loverly. On Saturday I ran my 6 mile route for the first time since I got injured at the beginning of January and it went just fine. I think my injury is slowly but surely healing and that makes me so very happy.

I didn't do any more outdoorsy stuff on Saturday because we were having people over for dinner. So, after our separate runs, John cleaned the hell out of the house and I grocery shopped and then cooked so much Mexican food.

Our friends all came over and we had a great time.



I ran my 4.5 mile route on Sunday morning. Since it was supposed to be really nice again, we checked with a few friends to see if they wanted to ride to Kalona with us. We only had one taker, but a few of our friends said they would drive to the Brewery and meet us for a late lunch.


It was CRAZY windy outside, so I don't blame people for not wanting to ride with us. At one point a crosswind was gusting so hard and I have dish wheels, so I thought I was going to fly into the ditch or have to lay my bike down on the road.


It definitely felt like Spring out there. We saw bald eagles, hawks, sheep, calves, horses, and dogs and dead opossums, they all seemed to have a little more hitch in their giddy-up (except the dead opossum).


This windmill was put to the test on Sunday.


It took us a bit longer to get to Kalona in those strong South winds, but luckily our friends were running late too, so no one had to sit around and wait very long.

I got the berry salad and added some shrimp to it. If you ever eat at Kalona Brewery, I highly recommend it.


On the way home we had a lovely tailwind. Ahhhhh. We stopped by to check out the gravel at the site of the race we might do this weekend. The road looked great, but it's supposed to rain all weekend, so it might be a crap shoot by Sunday....And if it rains enough, the crap could be shooting all over the place.


We headed home to more bucolic scenery and an incredible Iowa sunset. Looking back at my weekend of running, and hanging out with friends and riding, I can't help but feel lucky, lucky, lucky.

2 comments:

Spandex King said...

Loving this amazing weather! Sounds like a great day!

Churls said...

Me too. It's supposed to get cooler next week, but I'll take it while I can get it.