Thursday, September 10, 2009

And We Can Dress Real Neat From Our Hats to Our Feet

Here's me at the ass-end of the 80's. Good lord! Check out my hair.

So, tonight was a really odd running experience. I think I've told you about 8,421 times before that I've been running the same route for over twenty years, right? So, a lot of people who live along it, think they know me, even though we've never spoken before. It's great for safety reasons. As I was running today, a woman stopped me to tell me she thought I looked incredible. Normally, I don't like to stop at all during my run, but if I had to, I suppose there are worse reasons. Then a bunch of people I don't know waved or "Woo-Hoo'ed" me. By the time I hit Summit Street, I saw a guy riding a bike with his kid in a trailer. He waved, and I waved back with no recognition. He looked at me more closely and I figured out that not only did I know him, he was dating my friend Marla and was there when Coadster and I had the horse and buggy accident. I hadn't seen him since the John Irving reading almost two years ago. Talk about synchronicity. Weird.

Hey, is it the weekend already? Sweet! It snuck up on me, so I haven't really thought about what I'll do tomorrow night. I'm sure it will be something crazy and exciting like staying home and reading and listening to music. I still haven't finished Razor's Edge yet, but I'm at a really good place in the book, so I'm hoping to finish it this weekend.

Saturday my friends are having an 80's party where that decade dress is required. Which could really mean anything. I went through so many different phases back then. I can promise you, I won't be caught dead in a sweater vest and there's no way in hell I'm cutting my bangs again just for the occasion. I might just wear straight leg jeans, a Clash t-shirt, a pair of Chuck Taylor's and tons of black eyeliner, because that's what I wore for much of the mid-eighties anyway. My friend K. is talking about back combing her bangs and making her hair huge, and I can't wait to see that.

My girl crush is coming into town for it too. So, it should be a lot fun girls and silliness - my favorite combination. Who knows? Maybe I'll get a little crazy and bring my camera to document it all

Now it's your turn. What do you have going on this weekend? Will you be running around your town seeing ghosts from your past, or will you be reliving your glory days?

5 comments:

laura b. said...

You are kind of like a local celebrity...people think they know you when they don't :-)
80s parties are the BEST. You can't go wrong, because any of the looks are fun and the music is radical.
My weekend is all blank right now...surprise me, Weekend!

Anonymous said...

OMG. You have to leave your hair curly. WOW! Hot 80's hair!! - G

Susan said...

That hair is AMAZING!

This weekend I will be doing absolutely nothing for the first time in forever. The boyfriend is busy both tonight and tomorrow. I might live on the edge and go play bingo tomorrow.

Writing this comment just reminded me I have to meet his mother on Sunday...I suddenly feel ill.

Johnny Yen said...

My son was laughing a few months ago at pictures of me in the eighties, with my big tortoise-shell eighties glasses. Some of those pictures are in this post:

http://johnnyyen.blogspot.com/2007/01/riding-with-king_19.html

When I was a teacher, I used to rib my students about how they dressed-- the "Scarface" t-shirts, pants hanging off of their asses, etc. and tell them to be careful who took pictures of them-- that it would come back to haunt them.

Have a well-earned fun weekend!

Tara said...

That 80s party sounds fun! At least you'd be able to enjoy 80s music! That's a great photo of you!

I wish I still had the gigantic, light blue glasses I wore back in the late 80s, or my Jon Knight/New Kids on the Block t-shirt (but I think that was more 90s).