Tuesday, March 24, 2020

No, We Can't Help It. We're Always Restless

This is the can of paint I'm going to use to paint our aluminum screen door...Someday.

In my head, during this social distancing time I was going to get a lot of projects done around the house. I'm still working full-time (and I'm very grateful for that), so I'm not sure where I thought all of this extra time was going to come from. Also, after two and a half weeks, I'm still getting over this stupid head cold. Also, also, even though I don't actually bleed, I still get almost every other symptom from my fake periods, so I'm in that part of my cycle where all I want to do is lie around watching movies and eating sugar - not very productive.

Anyway, I now have all kinds of things in order to do house projects during some imaginary time in my life where I will have all kinds of time and motivation to do them. Man, when that day comes, I'll be all set.


The one thing I am making time for, is cooking. I went out and bought a bunch of food - I didn't hoard, I stocked up. I would just buy two bags of whatever, not 50.

Since we can't really go out to eat, I am cooking more, and trying to fix things that aren't too similar to the last thing I cooked, so we don't get tired of the different same things. So far this week I've made shrimp tacos with black beans and Mexican rice, hummus, falafel and quinoa tabouleh,  baked salmon, baked sweet potatoes and steamed asparagus, and cauliflower au gratin and turkey burgers.  Apparently, we're on the fast track for gaining the Covid-19 pounds.


I've also been reading a ton lately. I just started Curtis Sittenfeld's "American Wife" and I'm really enjoying it.


I finally got around to planting my seedlings last week and they've started sprouting. It's one of the few things giving me hope during these tough times. I'm planning on planting lettuce greens and beets this week outside too.


On Sunday I was feeling a little better from my cold, and decided to do some raking and general lawn maintenance. Sadly, I was going through that whole fake period thing and my equilibrium was off. I went to push the big bin I was putting the leaves in, hit a bump, and fell hard halfway into the bin. For a minute there, I thought I might have broken my elbow, but I think I just bruised it. If there's one positive thing about my body at this age, it's that I've been a runner for almost 45 years now and my bone density is like a 20 year olds...Well, in my head it is, anyway.

No comments: