Thursday, March 05, 2020

Feel the City Breakin', and Everybody Shakin' and We're Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive


I'm just writing a quick little post about health. Yesterday I went for my breast ultrasound in the morning. I've been doing this thing where I take sick time for my morning appointment, and then take half a vacation day after, just in case the news isn't good and I need to deal with my feelings, or in case it is good, and I need to celebrate.

Yesterday the news was good. Yea! My appointment is right next to Trader Joe's, so I stopped there and bought myself some flowers, and a ton of food. The good news is, if we have to get quarantined for the Corona virus, we should be okay on sustenance for a while.

Also, it was weird to see so many people with face masks on when I was at my doctor's appointment. My husband says face masks only help not to spread the disease if the infected person wears one. If you aren't trying to catch the disease, the face mask can make your chances worse because people mess with their face masks all the time, and you aren't supposed to touch your face. Of course, if touching your face means you'll get the virus, then I'm screwed. I touch my face all the time. I don't even realize I'm doing it most of the time. The most embarrassing thing, is that I've been known to try and push my glasses up on my nose when I'm not even wearing them. It's hell being spacey and old.

Since I was off for a half day yesterday afternoon, I stopped into our local store to see if I could make an appointment to get the Shingles vaccine. My doctor said to get the shot when you won't have to do much the day or so after, because it can really make you feel like crap. The pharmacist told me they were out of the vaccine again, so it was a moot point. I guess I'll just have to call every Friday until it's in. Luckily, my insurance covers it. Stupidly, Medicare doesn't cover it, and it's really expensive. So, older people who need it the most, might not be able to afford it. Sigh.

On a positive note, I went to the garden store and got a ton of seeds and black dirt and peat moss, so I'll start planting seedlings this weekend, and it's warm enough in Iowa that I can start planting greens, and beets outside. Hurray!

No comments: