Monday, March 30, 2020

I Wanted to Walk Through the Empty Streets, And Feel Something Constant Under My Feet, But All the News Reports Recommended That I Stay Indoors



So, how's everyone holding up out there? I know I keep saying this, but it's all so weird. Not only do we all have to isolate ourselves, but there is a very real possibility that any one of us could get seriously ill, or die from the is stuff. Ugh! It's a lot to think about. I guess, all we can do is try not to obsess about the stuff we can't control, and take care of ourselves, both mentally and physically as best we can.

For me, some of the mental health stuff means resorting to my two favorite things - comfort and escapism. I have been watching so many things in order to use two of my favorite crutches

I caught a really bad cold about a week before anyone else in Iowa were told to stay home, so I got a head start on the social distancing. In that week, I finally started and finished watching "Mad Men". Knowing my love of pop culture, my daughter told me years ago that I should watch it. I basically lived that show for a week. I'm sure I'll have to watch it again, sooner rather than later.


John and I have been watching a lot of old, goofy, movies in order to deal with all the serious drama of our real lives right now. We saw "Silver Streak", among other older, escapist, movies in the last few weeks.


I also have a thing for '90's quirky Aussie films. My sister got me and my daughters into "Strictly Ballroom", back when my girls were young. I introduced John to it last week, and he loved it. I was lucky enough to rewatch "Muriel's Wedding". It was just as cheesy/lovely as it was the first time I saw it.


Besides cheesy movies, we've actually been watching some that others might consider good. We watched "Little Miss Sunshine" last week. We also saw "Blinded by the Light" and "Knives Out", and enjoyed both of them.



Of course, an apocalyptic pandemic wouldn't be complete without some zombie movies, and we seem to be watching one a week. So far, we've seen "Shaun of the Dead", and "28 Days Later". I think next week we'll try to catch the first "Zombieland" movie. Bill Murray and Woody Harrelson. What's not to like?

I hope you all are doing what you can to stay sane during crazy making times.

No comments: